The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is day 152 for my Nigerian Dwarf Izzy, according to the breeding papers we got from her old owner. This is my first time kidding (she's an old pro, last year she had triplets without any problems) and I'm wondering how much longer she might have?

Thanks for any help, I'm more nervous than she is!

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Nigerians usually go 145 days. The original owners may not have gotten the date correct. Her udder doesn't look full. Just keep an eye on her.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Unless you're ten month old Hazel who had babies on Day 151. Sheesh, she kept me on hold!

I would say soon. A week, probably less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phew...what a busy week. Well, Sunday Izzy had a healthy young buck and doe.

I woke up every two hours Saturday night to check on her, then finally around 10am decide I can go inside and eat a granola bar, when I walked back out to the barn she had one kid on the ground! Perfect timing on her part.

Within 5 minutes or so I saw a bubble and pulled out my camera to get a video of the birth, but with two hard pushes the second kid popped out before my phone was even on!

I'm very glad my first time kidding went so well.

I did have a question, when should I vaccinate the kids, since I didn't vaccinate mom before she kidded. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:kidred: :kidblue:

They are both doing very well and mom is doing great, she's always making sure they don't wander too far away.

The kids seem to only be nursing one side of her udder, and when I tried to milk the other side out to even her out, she was very uncooperative. It was my first time milking a goat, and a mini one at that, so maybe my technique wasn't right. Any advice on how to milk a mini goat?

Should I tape up the empty side and encourage the kids to nurse from the full side?

Thanks again for all the help, this people here are so friendly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts