The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been waiting on this litter a loooong time!!

ok.. so its not a goat that I'm waiting on, but one of my rabbits. its the same doe of mine that made the Best of Breeds in Open and Youth at the 2009 convention. so I'm very anxious. shes due as early as tonight, probably will have them tomorrow or Tuesday.

maneater was bred to her half brother ( not uncommon in rabbits, and it's worked very well for me in all my years, because the tan pattern in a recessive trait, keeping lines tight helps to keep the color and markings sharp). they are both finished champions with 5 legs each. so these babies should be really nice

but the reason i'm so anxious is that this is my first litter since june, despite breeding 3 does once a month, turns out my old buck was sterile :( but this litter will soon be followed by other litters, since its winter everything is anxious to breed

in addition to this litter due now-ish, i have a homebred champion doe bred to my friends buck, who is out of the 2007 convention best of breed and opposite sex of breed, who is due on the 20th, another champion doe due the 26th, another doe ( who is almost finished, was the best chocolate senior at the 09 convention) on the first, and then my best of breed doe and her half sister, who was 9th out of 26 at the convention will be due the 18th of january if they take.

very exiting.. because after all those litters are born.. i get GOAT BABIES!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: waiting for a litter

yea liz.. i'll definetly have bunnies to occupy my time till kids start to arrive in mid feb... i'm just hoping that now i'm a national name... i can sell more at the bigger shows

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

well all day yesterday we had freezing rain and wind.. and when the weather forcast stated snow for our area.. i moved my momma to be inside to my room, becase 60* is much nicer to have babies in than 23*. and lo and behold at 430 in the morning i was woken up by her stomping her feet and causing a fuss.. she doesnt take the act of giving birth in stride.. but i had 5 healthy fat babies this morning. they all appear to be blacks like their parents.. a few could be blue. but the babies are nice and warm and the mommy , affectionatly named maneater, has been eating nonstop.. since she didnt eat 3 days prior to birth.

I decided on a name scheme for the babies.. though i can't tell the sex yet and wont for 4-6 weeks.. these are the names i picked.. tell me if you can guess the theme of the names

Widow Haven's Tsavo
Widow Haven's Mfuwe
Widow Haven's Panar
Widow Haven's Njombe
and then i'm kinda on the fence for the last one so i came up with three:
Widow Haven's Gustave
or
Widow Haven's Rathambhor
or
Widow Haven's Segur

·
Registered
361 Posts

LMAO
My DD loves looking at your rabbits. She has been trying to talk me into letting her have a rabbit breeding project. She has been reading over my shoulder and she just got the funniest look on her face. She takes the phonr from me and really looks at the pics. She looks up and says "Mom why does she say the rabbits have 5 legs. I only see 4."

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

stacey- i'll eb sure to keep the pictures updated lol.. i love these rabbits

shelly:
rabbits are a great project for kids. with 47 different breeds there's something for everyone. I started my animal projects with rabbits. its a cheaper way to build kids confidence and the breeding goes fast so they can see how well they are doing with the project's breeding program, unlike with other projects. I mean.. i love my goats.. but i have to wait 2 years to see if a breeding i did is working in a good direction or bad. where as with rabbits i can tell if a breeding is going towards or away from my goal within 6-12 weeks after birth.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

well the babies are a week old tomorrow already, little pudgy fuzzballs. all 5 are still doing really well. our cold snap finally broke too so they moved back outside. all of them ARE blacks.. which is nice since it's my main color. they should open their eyes soon too :)

they're sister finished her championship yesterday by getting her senior leg too :)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

so the babies are 2 weeks already.. fuzzy and their eyes opened :) we lost the runty one.. but its all good it wasdeveloping a weird hip issue.. but they're starting to come out of the box so its fun

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: waiting for a litter -two weeks!

so the babies are 4 weeks old today! i'm not home to take pics but i have some from 3 1/2 weeks. still can't tell sex for sure, but i'm thinking 2 bucks 2 does. they are sooooooo cute and they just kill me with theire cute fuzzy antics.

so pictures on their 5th weeks birthday.. and pictures of the other litter i have tooo, because i will not be home until the 10th

1 - 20 of 20 Posts