The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We only bred our 2F Cribbage this year so all eggs are in one basket so to speak. Am realizing that adds a lot of pressure to make sure everything goes well. Praying it's not a singleton! Last year she looked like she'd have quads for sure but only gave us 2 & she looks a little smaller even this year. She kidded at 144 days last time so figuring her due week is 3/9.

She's a small girl at 20" yet easily kidded Buck Doe twins last year even though the boy was large. She's a great mom, hardy & spirited with strong parasite resistance, and a decent milker, so am excited to see if the buck improves height & legs. Plus we really need a wether this year to keep the new buck company when he arrives.

Vertebrate Mammal Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout

Working animal Fawn Terrestrial animal Camelid Alpaca

Fawn Terrestrial animal Wallaby Snout Grass

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, she's little even for a Kinder. Her mom is too and had some really nice doelings so we don't count her out ;) Before pregnancy she was 90lbs.
We retained her doe from last year and she's turning out really nicely so I'm excited to breed that girl to a strong milking line in the fall.

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
2,541 Posts
Yeah, she's little even for a Kinder. Her mom is too and had some really nice doelings so we don't count her out ;) Before pregnancy she was 90lbs.
We retained her doe from last year and she's turning out really nicely. I'm excited to breed her to a strong milking line in the spring.
I've seen a few different lines that tend to run about 90 lbs. My girls are all right around 100 lbs but they are around 23" at the withers.
I would wait to breed her until late fall .. it’s really hard on the doe to kid and support growing babies more than once a year
I believe Lilgoatgal is referring to this doe's kid from last year, not the doe this thread is about.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hoping for at least 2! 🤞 She sure is pretty. Do you know how much she weighs approximately? She sure is petite at 20".

Any pictures of the buck?
Here's the buck. I just have snapshots since it was a driveway breeding. That's a different doe of mine in the photo who is 23.5" so he might be 25-26"... Would be awesome to have black babies!!
Working animal Terrestrial animal Fence Grazing Wire fencing

Working animal Mammal Fence Terrestrial animal Building

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen a few different lines that tend to run about 90 lbs. My girls are all right around 100 lbs but they are around 23" at the withers.

So your girls are a little smaller too. I have a doe that's 23.5" & running around 100lbs. She's still small compared to other Kinders but is my largest atm ;)

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,148 Posts
Can't wait to see the little ones! I think you might get a black kid with that pairing. I always get at least one black kid when I breed my brown girl to my black buck.

I notice that your girls seem to be eating chopped up veggies, is that something you do regularly? I've always been interesting in adding vegetables to their diets.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't wait to see the little ones! I think you might get a black kid with that pairing. I always get at least one black kid when I breed my brown girl to my black buck.

I notice that your girls seem to be eating chopped up veggies, is that something you do regularly? I've always been interesting in adding vegetables to their diets.
I sure hope so! All of ours are brown with the black stripe right now & getting a little hard to tell who's who!
Yep, they get kitchen scraps on top of their chaffehaye and love them. Today's pic is a little embarrassing because we moved the trough to the sunlight & my daughter was feeding so I could get a picture & they dumped it over right as she was filling it. Typically they aren't served their veggies all over the ground! haha!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's my favorite pattern but it does get tricky when there's more than a couple of the same pattern. What color kids has she had in the past?
Is it really your favorite? Well... do I have some goats for you then! haha!
Her kids last year were the same color as her, but that sire was brown also so no real surprise.

·
Registered
Kinder Goats
2,541 Posts
Is it really your favorite? Well... do I have some goats for you then! haha!
Her kids last year were the same color as her, but that sire was brown also so no real surprise.
It is! Half my herd is that pattern. I recently learned that it's called Bezoar. All my goats carry recessive black so can throw black kids even though they aren't all black. Are you hoping for boys or girls from her?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is! Half my herd is that pattern. I recently learned that it's called Bezoar. All my goats carry recessive black so can throw black kids even though they aren't all black. Are you hoping for boys or girls from her?
Bezoar! Nice to have a name for it. How did you discover that they throw recessive black?
I just started following the color thread but haven't read far yet & it's a bit over my head ;)

I actually need a wether this year and wouldn't mind does at all so am totally open to whatever she has cooking in there. Of course if she has 2 does (one to sell, one to keep) and a buck that would be awesome! But I don't think the belly is big enough.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts