The Goat Spot Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I've given the kid selenium. He spit out most of the first dose so I gave him another the next day, and then vit e capsules. Have been massaging his legs and they're very stiff. I can't straighten them manually. He's still walking wonky at 4 days old. I don't see any improvement.
He gets around okay but isn't able to be springy or fast like goat kids usually are. Should I continue with vit e? Is it time to splint? Would that even help since they don't straighten out?
Vertebrate Dog Dog breed Working animal Fawn

Registered
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Here's a thread I had with the same issue earlier in the year. There's some good info on it: Doeling With Crooked Leg
Okay, thank you :) Sounds like it could take longer than I thought. I found some cod liver oil to give him this evening & will continue the Vit E.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
How is the little guy doing?
He's doing so well... Such a handsome little guy! It did take quite a while for his legs to fully straighten I kept up with the supplements off & on for 2 weeks then just waited. They were fully straight by around 6-7 weeks. He's 9 weeks now...
Cloud Eye Sky Goat Working animal

Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
He's a cutie!!

I give my does selenium gel about every four months and try to time it where they get a dose a month before breeding and kidding. My goats do well on that schedule and don't show signs of being selenium deficient (neither do their kids). However, it's perfectly fine to give selenium gel every month. This is especially a good idea if you live in a very selenium deficient area.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
He is so handsome! He looks like he has some nice width to his front at least. Supplementing your does with selenium would be a good idea.
I do love his width. He'd be the perfect little man if his dam had a bit more capacity to her udder. She didn't increase as a 2F as much as I had hoped, but she will make great meat kids! He will make a nice wether tho too.
Working animal Goat Mesh Fence Fawn

81 - 100 of 115 Posts