waiting for Spice to kid

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by KLSpoultry, Mar 5, 2009.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    well, i got spice around christmas time and her oh-so-ignorant previous owners said she had been breed "about two months ago" but they weren't sure when. (these are the same people who were off by 3 weeks with lipstick!) spice has been getting progressively bigger and today i noticed a small amount of goo on her vulva, not a long string, but just a bit around the vulva. she is not bagging up yet, but is shedding like mad! how long do i have?

i'll take some pictures now of her and post later.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Pictures will sure help.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    udder pictures will be helpful.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i can say...no udder shots given :shrug:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ditto :wink:

6. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    :oops: knew i was forgetting something...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she looks to have over a month to go yet

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    At least a month if not more, so breathe easy for now and catch up on your Z's while you can.

9. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    oh good! i was worried she was having a single and not making milk. now hopefully she doesn't go on the same night as my broodmare who's due April 6th, that would be :hair:

do you gals think she looks thin? she gets all she can eat grass hay, 2-3 pounds of goat feed and free choice loose mineral

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a month sounds about right

11. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Spice has gotten HUGE overnight it seems and her udder is growing, nothing huge, but its bigger than when i took the pictures. can i get excited yet?

also, my mare is right on schedule too, hoping they dont go on the same night, i'm actually hoping that Spice goes first so I have kids to play with while watching my mare

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pictures will certainly help :thumb: But you are on your way to getting kids

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I say a month or more to ...when her udder starts to fill... then it is a good indication... it will be 1 month prior to kidding ....if you are feeding grass hay...I think... if you can get some good quality alfalfa.. it will help her... if she is to thin.....gradually and slowly introduce it to her...in the last trimester of pregnancy...this is when the kids grow alot and need the resources from mom to do it ...so feeding her better hay... at this time ...will help moma and kids....also 1 month prior to kidding is a good time... to give her cd&T tetnus toxoid........

14. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    here's some pictures I just took of her today, what do you think experts? progressing well? (don't mind the red glow, my girls shed out and it got cold again, they needed a heat lamp)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's the best you're going to get for udder shots, i didn't have help and she just kept turning to look at me :greengrin: silly girl

[​IMG]

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She is filling out very nicely....her udder shot is a bit too obscured to see it well, but she is progressing :thumb: