The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting on a baby any day. Any tips on what meds/vacs/etc to give them immediately after birth...to mom & baby?? Just wanna do everyti g right. So afraid I'm going to do something wrong or forget something! :(

·
14,615 Posts
We dont do anything for babies except dip navels in 7% iodine. And BoSe only if needed.
We dont leave till kids have found the teats.
The new mama will enjoy a good drink from almost hot bucket of mollasses water. After a day or two she probably wont need/want it.
Worm the doe as soon as everyone is settled in, then again 10 days later. We use 1% Ivermectin injectable done orally.
Happy kidding!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Most time all goes good..

What type doe u got?
I did help my last for pulled the baby out but she could have done it.
Has she had her cdt shot?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Also, always watch to make sure momma passes her placenta. She may want to eat it (and that is fine), but it is so nutrient-filled that she probably wont eat anything after that for a few days.

If you are in a cold area, you can blanket the kids. Their dams usually keep them warm, but we do just because we like to spoil them ;)

Best of luck for you and your doe!!!

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
My does eat the placenta but ive never had them go off feed for the next few days ... That is not normal ...

Lol nancy i like how you say after a few days she wont want/need the.molasses wter. Mine fight.over it all year long :)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Believe me Keren, I have NO experience with does eating placentas, so I was just writing what I read! They also say that does will go off of feed when labor is approaching... But our does still eat between contractions, so...? I guess some does are just special :D

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
You probably should get some Bo-Se, I dip umbilicals and clean up (I don't want my does to eat the whole placenta), I then, go have a cup of coffee, for about an hour. Then I go back out and make sure babies are nursing. Trying to help them is almost impossible...most of the time the doe is an excellent teacher. Have you ever seen one push the baby through her front legs and then stand "stock still" for them to find the teat? It's so cute. Anyway, after an hour, I go back out and watch them nurse. Be sure you have cleaned the "wax plug" out of the teat.

Be sure to get the navel dipped in iodine (I must have 4 or 5 bottles, lol), you don't want to have to treat "navel ill". Good luck! Watch some videos of goat births, youtube is a great resource. Don't be afraid to "help" your girl...sometimes I watch those videos and I say "geesh, help that kid out, already"!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still waiting!!! Ugh!! Attaching more pictures...any guesses on how much longer?? I have no idea when she is due? I thought she was passed due but I guess not :(

Vertebrate Goat Dog breed Whiskers Terrestrial animal

Vertebrate Eyelash Primate Beard Mammal

Vertebrate Mammal Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass

Vertebrate Mammal Ear Liver Grass

Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass Snout

Dog breed Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
About 2 weeks. She's gorgeous! Did you clip her? What nice hair she has :) And I think she has twins in there....

·
1,172 Posts
She is so pretty! :)
I know the anticipation is probably driving you nuts! LoL
I KNEW my 2 girls's due-dates, and I was still excited when waiting.
One delivered on her due-date, the other was a day early. :)
Good luck, and hope the mother and kids will be healthy! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts