The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Feb. I bought 2 Saanen cross does. One aborted within 2 weeks of having her. Jazzy is still pregnant. The lady I got them from didn't keep records. Jazzy was in with a Nubian Buck from Dec19-Jan13 then in with a LaMancha from Jan13-Feb1. I think she bred with the Nubian just by her size, her symptoms and she wasn't 'interested' in the LaMancha. According to my dates she is due anywhere from May12 (day 145 from earliest possible breeding) to June 16 (day155 from latest possible breeding) :eek:

Well if I had to judge I would say that Jazzy will go this weekend just from the way she's acting today :cool:. The only real sign is the star gazer look. She looks 'tired' and 'zoned out'. She's been pawing making a nest for the last week or so. This is her 3rd freshening but my first. I'm a new be and get crazy about animals in labor some day I'll be a midwife:dance: but until then I'll be content helping my animals :).

I've taken pics today. Her pooch isn't overly swollen or puffy BUT I have checked her about 4 times a day for the past month. Her udder has filled in the last 2 weeks. She dropped 2 weeks ago from this last Wednesday and her ligs are gone on one side and there is a hint on the other side. Her ligs. have been that way for 5 days now. Like I said the only 'sign' that convinces me is the 'star gazer, lazy, didn't get enough sleep last night, zoned out' look she has today. She's still eating, is laying down away from the other 2 but that might just be in order to get in the shade. She goes over to the water bucket and hangs her head but doesn't drink just 'zones' out.

I went crazy posting pics :eek: and would love some opinions :D Do you think I'm right that she could go this weekend? Or wishful thinking?

Notice her ligs and how deep my fingers are I feel like I could grab around her tail.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wanted to mention...she's had her tail to the side all day. The only time she lifts it is to go to the bathroom and that's straight up otherwise it looks the way it does in the second pic off to the side.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kept the baby monitor on all night and continued to check on her. Her ligs were back this morning. Other than the ligs being back that's the only thing that's changed:mad:

It's frustrating not having a due date. I just keep watching her. I have her pen right out my kitchen window so I can keep a close eye on her. I can't imagine she'll be able to wait 2 more weeks but she might just to keep me guessing. She likes all the treats and attention she gets. I would imagine she'll drag it out as long as possible. She likes being the 'star of the show' :)

·
AddisonandSpike
126 Posts
I feel your pain. I hope I never have a prego that I don't have at least a about date. Good luck! Maybe we should tell them they are in a race : )

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking...maybe it's a good thing she hasn't kidded yet. The longer she holds them in the bigger she gets and the better chance of twins right? She has only ever kidded a single.

PLEASE Lord have her have twins!!!! I'd be happy with a buck and a doe I don't even want to consider the possibility of twin does cz I don't want to be disappointed!

Anyone have a guess? Twins or a single? She looks HUGE to me.

Also I heard that if they're malnourished when they're bred that decreases their chances of having multiples. I think she was underfed when we got her just because the lady we got her from said a 750lb bale of hay would easily last us a year! It's been 4 months feeding 2 goats and we're having to buy another bale.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Well, I know for sure that flushing (feeding a lot of grain) them before they breed helps them to produce more eggs, so I assume that being malnourished would have the opposite effect. But by all means, it is possible for anything to happen. Our very very conditioned large Boer only had a single, and our underweight little Boer had ginormous twins. It just all goes back to what happened when she was bred, and how the outcome will be. It is what it is ;)

I am predicting Buck/Doe twins. (She totally could have twin does, that was just my prediction. Now imagine triplet does.... :kidred: :kidred: :kidred:)

ETA- Time prediction is 4 days, on Wednesday the 39th. Around 7 o' clock. :p

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have buttery discharge!!!!! YAY!!! I think I'm staying home from church tonight just because I'll be to distracted during church :eek: I don't think she'll kid today I'm sure it will still be awhile but I'll be filled with 'what if's' at church.

SO any ideas on how long? a week two weeks? 2 hours!?!?!?!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She still has her ligs on one side! Looks like I'll be keeping the baby monitor on again tonight and doing barn checks periodically :sleeping::coffee2:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I put Jaz up on the milking stand every night to get her accustom to being up there and having her teets messed with and also to give her her grain. Anyways I always check her ligs, her udder and her vulva I also bump the kids every time and feel for movement. Tonight I bumped her 5 different times and couldn't feel any movement under or on her side. That's NEVER happened before! She still has faint ligs on both sides but I have to 'dig' to find them. So here's hopin!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NOPE!!! Jazzy is happy and content eating leaves off the elm tree today. I did 3 barn checks in the middle of the night and kept the baby monitor on. I HATE NOT HAVING A DUE DATE!!!! I really don't think it will be more than 2 weeks but really only time will tell. I'm keeping very detailed records this time so I can refer back to them next kidding season :)

What about for you? Has your doe kidded yet? What was her name again?

·
AddisonandSpike
126 Posts
Addison and no. She is or running around eating everything in sight . She needs to hurry. We are going out of town next week for five days. Guess since I just wrote that down I now know when she will kid. Haha. I hope not! I certainly will never do this no due date thing again. Although I had no idea she was prego when I got her.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When we got Jasmine it was Feb 1 and she had been with two different bucks 1st a Nubian then a LaMancha (O he was homely!) from Dec19-Feb1. The previous owner never told me about the Nubian buck she was with for 3weeks bcz she didn't think he bred anyone. I found out about him when she started developing an udder 5 weeks early. SO I was pretty clueless about Jazzy's history and honestly still am. All I know for sure was that when we first got her you couldn't look at her without her running to the opposite side of the pen and now she comes to us cautiously but it's progress.

I really think she'll make a great mom and HOPEFULLY give us a gallon of milk a day! We go through about a gallon and a half a day!

Man I hope Addison kids soon! When one goes the other will follow and we'll both be on here sharing pics of our twins! She really is a pretty doe. I like Saanen's Jazzy's half Saanen half Nubian.

I am spent from not getting a full nights sleep for the last week and I know I'll be repeating that tonight up until she kids. I'm going to go do a barn check than take a cold bath!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have two questions.

Should I be able to get milk from her by now? Is it just hormones that makes her udder enlarge or is it actual milk? Are goats like humans in that respect?

My other question. I bumped the kids last night and still didn't feel any movement. I haven't felt them move since Friday evening. Should I be concerned? Are they like human babies in that they settle down because of restricted space?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have more buttery discharge today. Not getting excited though :shrug:since she's still as calm as ever. Her tail head is straight with her back (___) Anyways just wanted to give that update

For a buck and a doe we're naming them Hansel & Grettel
For twin girls Briar Rose & Snow White

Haven't considered triplet names

1 - 20 of 185 Posts