The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we had the vet out on Sunday for ultrasounds. 36 out of the 39 that we bred were confirmed bred. The other there appear to be open. Not bad though! Now we wait. The first are due February 15.

· Banned
5,939 Posts
Same here. Luckily we have a couple very large barns that we will be setting up our maternity wards in :)
That will help alot! I'm jealous - I wish I had a big enclosed barn about now. I was looking at the farmers almanac last night, and Jan and Feb are supposed to be ugly in our neck of the woods! :sigh:

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohhhh I know it must be torture with all those! What breed are they? I envy y'all that can have so many!! :)
All of them are cashmere :) the wait is killer. All but 4 of them are leased by 4hers. I think the wait is worse for them!

And ya I think jan and feb looks like it's going to be bitter. Right now we have 7 inches on the ground and below zero temps. Good thing they hall have their cashmere sweaters on!

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are becoming considered a breed. The northwest cashmere association and eastern cashmere association both have agreed upon set standards for cashmere goats. We are slowly getting a registry going.

Yes, we hand come all of our goats (close to 100).

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
They are becoming considered a breed. The northwest cashmere association and eastern cashmere association both have agreed upon set standards for cashmere goats. We are slowly getting a registry going.

Yes, we hand come all of our goats (close to 100).
:!: That takes a bit :) They are beautiful coats they have though. Glad they are moving towards becoming a breed... I am looking right now to add a fiber wether to my small herd. I figure, why not have a wether that gives something back as well? Thinking angora would be the better choice for me but I love both...any suggestions?

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:!: That takes a bit :) They are beautiful coats they have though. Glad they are moving towards becoming a breed... I am looking right now to add a fiber wether to my small herd. I figure, why not have a wether that gives something back as well? Thinking angora would be the better choice for me but I love both...any suggestions?
Naturally I would suggest cashmeres since I've been raising them for close to 10 years. I think they're hardier but it looks like you are in NY? Angoras would do well. You can shear cashmeres too, just costs more to get it processed that way. I think cashmeres are lower maintenance too.

· Shady Acre Homestead
14,233 Posts
Naturally I would suggest cashmeres since I've been raising them for close to 10 years. I think they're hardier but it looks like you are in NY? Angoras would do well. You can shear cashmeres too, just costs more to get it processed that way. I think cashmeres are lower maintenance too.
Really? How are they lower maintenance? I know you are supposed to get angoras sheared twice a year....and I did hear that they are not as hardy at birth...

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The shearing is big, but depending on where they are, my goats' hooves don't have to be clipped very often, they are relatively parasite resistant I hardly have to medicate. I very rarely have kidding issues and very very rarely have bottle babies. They are just more hardy than what I have seen with Angoras

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.