Walking on back pasterns

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by highlonesomefarm, Jul 10, 2010.

1. highlonesomefarm

highlonesomefarm New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Hello, I have a 1.5 yr old first freshener who has started walking on her back pasterns on and off since right before she delivered. Her hooves are good as I trim them frequently. I know it hurts her because she lays down alot. We are not in a selenium deficient area that I know of, and she's not getting too much grain. She gets a quart of general livestock feed and free choice alfalfa. She's on the skinny side since she delivered. Any ideas as she needs help. :whatgoat: Thanks.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    could need..a copper supplement...

Do you feed lose salt and minerals?

3. highlonesomefarm

Jul 6, 2010
    They have a trace mineral block in their pen. Where would I get a copper supplement? I feel so bad for her. In addition, she's hard to milk because of her back hooves, she wants to lie down. It's been much worse yesterday and today. :?

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    If its not a selenium deficiency then are her pasterns too long? The weight of carrying kids will bring weak/long pasterns down... that would be genetic. Does she have access to loose minerals (for goats) You may want to switch her grain ration to something made for goats.... she may just be lacking in nutrients. :) Also, did you worm her after kidding?

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree with the others. There is nothing else I can think of that hasn't already been said.

6. highlonesomefarm

Jul 6, 2010
    Thanks for the help. I will put her back on a non-medicated dairy goat feed, and add some of the loose minerals. We get their water from a well and it does have a little alkaline in it. I read that it could interfere with their absorption of copper. I did worm her. Thanks again!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    make sure... the loose salt and minerals is for goats or for cattle....it will have the copper in it.... Loose salt and minerals for sheep doesn't have it....

8. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
  9. highlonesomefarm

Jul 6, 2010
    An update on my doe. I switched feeds to a goat feed and added loose minerals for them, she is doing better. Our farrier came to do our minis and he said she'll always have weak pasterns from now on. Maybe I shouldn't breed her again as it put so much stress on her.
    Thanks for all of y'all's help.