walking through my herd

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by fivemoremiles, Nov 21, 2019.

1. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    To i took the time to walk through my herd of goats. I have not done it since i turned the bucks in for breeding. There was a contentment that came over me as i touched my girls all 63 of them. I was checking there body condition. They all were a 2.5 or better no 4's they were just right.
    I guess i should explain what i mean. a body condition of 1 is a walking skeleton a score of 5 is rolly poly fat, no ribs can be felt. 2.5 to 3 is perfect.
    normally there is one that is under a 2 but not today. that is not common.
    It is a relief on the rare occasion that it happens.

I don't mean to brag but i am going to any way. My girls sure looked good today

2. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    We are glad together with you and your does! :)

3. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    That's a good feeling to have! :goodjob:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I dont have 63 does..i have 24 does. Youngest are 3 months..oldest 2 years and very very pregnant. Each with their own personality, attitude and contribution to my herd. I cant think of anything more peaceful and rewarding when they all look good..and are happy. I agree its rewarding. I enjoy mine every day. They also entertain me.

Attached Files:

Damfino, ReNat, groovyoldlady and 2 others like this.
  5. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    What a wonderful feeling! My goats are literally my therapy! I was hit pretty hard with postpartum depression after my second and my husband had me buy a few goats to help. I love them so much! I’ve had a herd for over a year now and just had my third baby. There’s nothing better than having a hard day at home with the kids and being able to hand them over to their father to go spend a few minutes with my girls. It’s also a nice feeling to be finally doing things right. My herd in high school was a menace to everyone involved, and it was entirely my fault. I love that my goats are happy and healthy. Watching them bounce around and check my pockets for treats.... I love goats.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Poof my bubble popped. To day one came up limping. Worse yet she can run faster than I can. Funny she came right up yo me Wednesday.

9. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Nothing so good that it can last ... Has she been bumped by another ewe? (or if it is a doe?)

10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Lets all hope..its just a hoof that needs trimmed. I guess its true...One Day At A Time! Lol lol. Thanks for the thread.

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I hope she is ok and something easily remedied.
    It's a goat conspiracy. As soon as you relax and think all is well, they come up with something to upset the apple cart!

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.