Wall/Fence Mount Hay Feeders: Safety Issue

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by DebMc, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jaycee

jaycee Senior Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Alton, IL
    I'm glad I saw this topic. I have a similar feeder which I think was made for horses. I was concerned my girls would get their head stuck in there sometime because the vertical openings start out wide and get narrower at the bottom. I'm going to take it out tomorrow after reading this.

The lady in Missouri where I bought 2 doelings a couple weeks back had a pretty good idea for a hay feeder that I think I'll try now. She took about a 5 foot long section of chain-link fence, wrapped the ends together and hung them from the rafter in her barn. This makes a U shape with the ends tied together at the top and she stuffed the hay inside. Clip the sides together and you have a hanging feeder with nice size openings, you just have to remove the stems every so often of course.

2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I always wondered if one of those hanging horse hay feeders would work, or would the goats chew it up? Horses like to chew on things, especially when they are bored, and they use these at the racetracks...never seen a horse tear one up.

3. Hoosier do you mean the bag type? I have seen goats get all tangled up in those. People use them at shows but for fear I never will!
    I love the ones I have they are made for horses and work great for my goats and are pretty indestructible and they can't eat them. :)
    They are at the bottom of my home page. http://freedomstarfarm.com/Home_Page.html

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Getting tangled would be my concern with the bags, I could just see my girls destroying them with their horns, haha....I didn't put much thought into it before I posted...obviously LOL
    I really like the ones you have on your site, look nice and safe and easy to install!
    My husband insists he is going to make hay feeders...Lord help us all....LOL

5. Barnesboutiques

Barnesboutiques New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    I just stumbled on this and I know it’s an old thread, but our beautiful 8 month old Nubian Just died in a Wall Mount hay feeder this evening. I had no idea there was any danger and we had always used it. We had been looking to get rid of it because they were wasting too much with it but hadn’t found the right thing yet. She must have somehow been playing around and got up into it and stuck and I think she hung herself. We are just devastated and I wish I had found this forum much sooner.

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. Nothing anyone says will help your pain, but, I sure sympathize with you. Please don't blame your self.

7. Barnesboutiques

Barnesboutiques New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    I wrote a review on the product and it got censored and they won’t post it.

mariarose likes this.
  8. wifeof1

wifeof1 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Boulevard, CA
    I had a buck with horns go into a 50 gallon metal drum feeder head first. It was dark and we had to cut the feeder off the fence by flash light. Lay the bucket down and cut the welded cross bars to get him out. It was scary. Now the feeder sits on the ground.

9. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    Is there anything such as a goat (proof) safe hay feeder ?? I know everyone does their best to provide a safe environment for their goats, Myself included. However I am not sure that you can prevent against every possible way a goat can hurt itself. I had two doelings 2 years ago to lay down next to the goat barn and when they got up they stuck their legs under the barn tin next to the ground. Yes the tin use to touch the ground but time and chickens had removed some of the dirt and the gap was wide enough to allow a leg to slide under and yes the goats cut the hide clear to the bone and down the leg. Looked terrible and was a sore mess for a few weeks but daily washing with water hose and then applying a dressing both healed up nicely but still show the scars but otherwise are fine. Now cinder blocks are stacked against the tin. So try as we might accidents happen and we all have accidents walking around just waiting to happen. Use common sense when installing feeders and hay racks. Just stand there and thing of any possible way for a goat to get hung up or hurt themselves and take actions to eliminate possibilities. I might suggest hanging the racks really close to the ground so if a baby happen to fall into it then the baby can still put feet on the ground. place a cover over the top of the hay rack and secure in place or use something to prevent that described incident from happening again. I have a metal rack on legs and a cover on the top that I tie down with a nylon rope but I still got one doeling with her head stuck between the bars some how and there is not a slant from top to bottom. How she got her head stuck between the bars, I have no idea but she did. Mr. Murphy is always working overtime around goats. Duh !!

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Goats can find more ways to hurt and kill themselves than almost any other animal. You can only do the best you can to make a safe environment for them. Short of padded stalls, (which they would try and eat and probably choke to death on) try to check the area as often as possible for hazards.

11. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    I've made my hay feeders out of the 4"x4" sheep and goat fence and they work great. The holes are too small for the goats to fit through.

mariarose likes this.