wanna guess...Babies Arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by gotgoats, Oct 6, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I have one doe that is a first freshener. She is due between Oct. 8th - Nov. 11th. I was curious to your thoughts about how far along she is and how many? She is a smaller myotonic. She has been acting and doing well. She seems to me vocal, but happy. To me, I can still feel her ligs. I don't think she will go yet. Although, her udders started to grow around Labor Day, her bag has remained about this size for last 2 weeks. Any guesses? It's the waiting game for me!:wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: wanna guess?!

I would say that she still has a bit to go. The udder is not full and tight yet. I would say a single - but I had a girl give me quads that I really thought only had twins - :shrug:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

My nigi had an udder that size for a month befor she delivered....and I'll say twins...she's deep enough to hide 2 :girl: :girl:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Ok, i'm gunna say twin girls. And i'd say 15 to 20 more days. She's looking really pudgy in the rear end, but it doesn't look like her udder is to full. Not to sure :shrug: I have had some look like that 10 days before kidding and a couple days before they kidded, their udder filled real quick.

5. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

Oh I'll be different :girl: :boy: and Oct. 31

6. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma

Oh I hope it won't be that long, but I am just being inpatient. I was kind of hoping sometime next week because I don't have to be anywhere, plus I am off from having to babysit. I would like to have twins, does would be a plus, to help build up my herd. She was out browsing this morning, she was walking stiff legged in the rear with her tail down, but no discharge and her bag looks the same. I wonder if the babies dropped? I will post more pics down the road.
    I enjoy this forum, helps to pass the time while you are waiting and a good place to get information.

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm Guest

Sep 18, 2008

Well. watch her udder and her ligs. If she is close her udder will start to fill for about 2 weeks. =)

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Talitha...each doe has their own way of filling...some fill a month before some fill a day before. So don't rely on the udder filling, I have actually had a doe with a really soft udder when she kidded, but about 6 hours after birth the udder had doubled in size. Checking ligs is the easiest way to tell when she may have them.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

or you can have a doe like 2 of mine this year that for some reason NEVER got an udder!!! And one had twins - the other quads!

10. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA

HAHAHA ! Don't forget the Doe's Code of Honor !!! ...

The doe's secret code of honor is as old as goats themselves and is the species best kept secret. No doe shall ever kid before its time. (Its time being determined by the following factors):

1- No kid shall be born until total chaos has been reached by all involved. Your owner's house must be a wreck, their family hungry and desperate for clean clothes, and their social life nonexistent.

2- "Midwives" must reach the babbling fool status before you kid out. Bloodshot eyes, tangled hair and the inability to form a sentence mean the time is getting close.

3- For every bell, beeper, camera or whistle they attach to you, kidding must be delayed by at least one day for each item. If they use an audio monitor, one good yell per hour will keep things interesting.

4- If you hear the words, "She's nowhere near ready. She'll be fine while we're away for the weekend," Wait until they load the car, then begin pushing!

5- Owner stress must be at an all time high! If you are in the care of someone else, ten to fifteen phone calls a day is a sign you're getting close.

6- When you hear the words "I can't take it anymore!" wait at least three more days.

7 -You must keep this waiting game interesting. False alarms are mandatory! Little teasers such as looking at your stomach, pushing your food around in the bucket and then walking away from it, and nesting, are always good for a rise. Be creative and find new things to do to keep the adrenaline pumping in those who wait.

8- The honor of all goats is now in your hands. Use this time to avenge all of your barn mates. Think about your friend who had to wear that silly costume in front of those people. Hang onto that baby for another day. OH, they made him do tricks too! Three more days seems fair. Late feedings, the dreaded diet, bad haircuts, those awful wormings can also be avenged at this time.

9- If you have fulfilled all of the above and are still not sure when to have the kids, listen to the weather forecast on the radio that has been so generously provided by those who wait. Severe storm warning is what you're waiting for. In the heart of the storm jump into action! The power could go out and you could have the last laugh. You have a good chance of those who wait missing the whole thing while searching for a flashlight that works!

10- Make the most of your interrupted nights. Beg for food each time someone comes into the barn to check you. Your barn mates will love you as the extra goodies fall their way too.

Remember, this code of honor was designed to remind man of how truly special goats are. Do your best to reward those who wait with a beautiful doeling to carry on the Doe Code of Honor for the next generation of those who wait.

Author Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, I say she still has atleast a few weeks to go yet, and I vote for a single :girl:

11. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma

Oh so true :slapfloor: It gave me a good chuckle to read that. Certainly lightens the mood while waiting. Thanks!

12. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma

This morning she was out and she has a small amt. of yellow discharge and I couldn't feel any ligs. Her udder is still the same. I hope she doesn't go today, I have Dr.s appt for my kids. There was also a Huge pile of goat pills close to where she was standing. Although, there were 2 other does there, but not seen that before. Weird.

13. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA

:ROFL: :ROFL: HAHAHA ! ;)

No, seriously, sounds like perhaps she's pretty close ! No ligs, discharge ... yup, sounds close. And since you won't be home today ... well ...another insert from the Doe's Code of Honor ...

Soooooo ... let's hope you can be there, BUT ... them lil stinkers are pretty good at kidding when we're NOT ready for it ! (not there, etc.)

Keep us Updated !

14. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA

However ... on the other hand, they can have that discharge for a while before they actually kid.

But if her ligs are completely gone, and you're sure of it ... that's a good sign that it's getting pretty close :)

15. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma

She is just playing tricks on me. Got home she's back to normal. I am sure she'll do it again. :wink:

16. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

All of you newbies should read "Cowgirl, day 150...." by Muddy Creek Farm. Now that was fun, well at the end it was kind of scary. That "proves" the "Doe Code" thing! :ROFL: (Sorry Chelsey, but it was "classic" wasn't it?).

17. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma

Update...she still is holding in those babies... her ligs feel softer than a couple days of go and her udder has grown a wee bit more and is sort of lopsided to the right being larger. I hope to get pics of her tomorrow to post. :)

18. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma

Well, everyone she still is keeping those babies tucked inside. Sorry, I didn't post some pics when I said I would, it rained that day, than fall break, and so on. I was able to get some today thought. She doesn't look much different to me except maybe her udder has grown some, but I don't have an experienced eye at this yet. She was with a buck from May 11th-June 11th, and I think that put her from Oct. 8th until the first weeks of Nov. How much longer do you think? It's hard to see her black udder. I will keep waiting because I have too :wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: wanna guess?! Update with more pics.

Her udder is coming along very nice....and I'll guess twins, she looks to have a couple weeks yet though, but since she was with him for a month, I'd still be doing the "wait and wonder" with her. She is a really pretty girl and if that's the buck she was with you are sure to have some very good looking kids....he is a handsome boy (the bigger guy") the little guy is a cutie too...though I do think that if it as he she was bred to, you'll get a good chance of white/black kids.

20. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Re: wanna guess?! Update with more pics.

She was bred to the black white and buck. I was having internet connection trouble when I posted my goats pics and somehow my album pics were included, but now the bucks pics from the album aren't there if anyone was confused ( or now more confused, sorry).