Wanted: boer wether for 4-H!

Discussion in 'Goats For Sale' started by goatnutty, Feb 4, 2011.

1. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Well, I'm running out of time and i still need to purchase a wether. We are located in Southeastern Indiana so if anyone knows of where I can get one..let me know.
    Thanks,
    Sara

2. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    Exactly how far do you want to drive to get this wether? I have a group of wether maker does that will be kidding in March. They make good summer show wethers, some may show in lighter classes. We already have our wethers for the upcoming season so most/all of them will be sold as soon as they are born...Possibly I might keep one more but there should still be 10-20 wethers in the group, 6 are held with reserves but there should be a few good ones left. When is your cut-off date? My kids, in 4H, have until May 1st(?) before they have to be tagged and scanned. I know of several production sales in the next few months but those will be the $$ wethers.

3. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    How close are you to the Northern Kentucky region (south of Cincinnati)? I know a few boer farmers here with wethers, my girls have been dropping all does so far. What are you looking for? What price range are you looking in?

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm not wanting to go more than an hour or two max if at all possible. We have to have them tagged April 29th. I'm really not looking to spend more than $150 on one...I'm pretty close to Northern Kentucky probably 45 minutes more or less...I'm considering getting one from www.geymansboergoat.com but not sure yet...I'm looking for a wether preferably born in December or January. A little earlier would be fine, not to much later so they make weight.

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
  6. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I like 36 and 117 from that page but that's just me they look thicker, longer, and seem to be growing really well.

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Roger, 36 was already sold, but i liked him too!

8. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Those look like some nice goats. Are you located near Madison? I have a friend with a goat farm near there, she has LaManchas and Boers. Right now she boermancha babies and they are adorable! I know, not what you are looking for. I think the ones you have picked out are all decent goats. I forgot Indiana requires disbudding. Kentucky doesn't so most of the people around here don't disbud. I am thinking about doing it for my winter born kids so I can sell to Indiana and Ohio but I haven't done it yet.

9. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    we are probably 45 minutes from there..we are actually in Sunman. Our fair is not requiring disbudding this year for the first time! Most of the people still prefer it though..

10. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Our fair doen not require disbudding on meat breeds but does on everything else.