WANTED! Lg Breed Wether - AZ

Discussion in 'Goats For Sale' started by DebMc, Nov 21, 2010.

1. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I am interested in getting a large-breed wether to train to pull a cart. Must be healthy, preferrably from a CAE negative herd, and tame.

If you have one available, please send me a photo along w/a brief description and your asking price. I'm about 25 miles N of Phoenix in the New River area.

Thanks.

Deb Mc

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    You can teach the girls to pull tandem. :) We are having a lot of our fainters in the Christmas parade this year and they will be pulling a cart in teams and by themselves. :)

Haven't heard from you in a while.... how have you been? :)

3. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Hi, Jess.

Hmmm, that's a good idea. I've read that a goat can only pull 1.5 times its body weight. The girl's are chunksters so tandem might work. Do you know where I might find a harness for a team?

I'm interested in getting a large breed goat to also use as a deterrent for Harris hawks that prey on my geese. Doesn't have to be aggressive or do anything but be BIG for that. The girls can't really fill those shoes.

I found a handsome, moonspotted (cream on buff) Nubian wether from a CAE negative herd, all his shots, healthy and all, but I'm not sure he'll get big enough. They estimate he's 85 lbs now at 6 months of age, and say he's registerable. Just not sure about the size. I want BIG! An Alpine, maybe?

I'm doing better. Found out I'm starch and histamine intolerant and have Crohn's Disease or UC - see doc tomorrow about the results - on top of everything else. Think it's Ankylosing Spondylitist, which would explain the sacroiliitis, why I couldn't bend my back and all the terrible muscle, joint and back pain. Whatever it is, it responds to a no starch/no histamine diet and histamine production inhibitors. I'm doing better now than I have in years.

The girls are fine. They are so, so cute. And such lookers! Gorgeous coats and healthy as can be. You make beautiful goaties!

Deb Mc

4. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Nubians and saanens are the two biggest breeds of goats. He would probably keep getting bigger for 2-3 years.

5. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I agree, I think that 85 lbs. at six months old is a good size. But I think that Saanens are the biggest, but you have to watch for sunburn and if you are in Az. that would be a consideration.

6. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Try to find an oberhasli! They look great with a black harness! Trust me, I have an oberhasli cart wether and he looks amazing!

7. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I'm getting the wether! He sounds perfect in all respects. Health, temperment and anticipated size. His sire is pushing 250 lbs. And I love his looks.

Deb Mc

8. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    What breed is he? Or is he a cross?

9. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Good for you and good luck. Is it the nubian that you mentioned???? Pictures Please...........

10. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Whethers don't get as big as bucks though? I have never seen a HUGE Wether...

11. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Some wethers are around 150 lbs and others get around 200 or 250 lbs. So some get as big as bucks but not all.

12. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I once own a pure alpine wether that weighed 175 lbs. He was still a very nice size though. I don't now if I would want one any bigger than that.

13. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yes! It's the Nubian. He's purebred and registerable. I have some pics the breeder sent me but should probably wait to post one until after I have him home and he's ALL mine! Wouldn't want to jinx the transaction. :wink:

Earlier today I ordered a milking stanchion for clipping hooves. The last time we did the girls, Jess, Mitsy cow-kicked hubby and he ended up with a bloody graze and a HUGE bruise on his ribcage and armpit. :GAAH: Lil' stinker! :ROFL:

14. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    COOL! Cant wait to see pics!

15. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    Yep. We love to see others pics.