wanted to buy: goat in milk

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by drafthorsechick, Feb 2, 2008.

1. drafthorsechick

drafthorsechick New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Iowa
    Hi all,

I raise American Barbados sheep, and had a ewe give birth to twins, one of whom she rejected. We have had ALL ram lambs this year, except for this one ewe lamb who was rejected. She is a healthy, strapping little girl, so why her dam pushed her away I have no idea. I have been holding the ewe and making her allow the lamb to nurse for four days now, and she is still not having anything to do with her lamb unless forced, so I'm pretty certain that she's not going to come around.

Does anyone have a doe for sale who is currently milking, or know of anyone who might have one? I'm partial to LMs, but really don't care about the breed, I just need a tolerant doe (I've never milked before) and if anyone has one who might actually accept this lamb, that would be a HUGE plus.

I would consider leasing a doe also, but I'd rather just buy. The closer to Eastern Iowa the better, but I'll travel a reasonable distance as I really wanted to find one by now.

Sarah--did I mess up not getting your already milking yearling last year or what!? And of course the one bred doe I have isn't due for another month.

Thanks so much for any help or leads anyone can provide.

Therese

2. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    it will be hard to find one now. most people have dried them off for kidding.

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Fritzie is right, you probably won't be able to find one right now. There are people kidding out their goats now, though....just not as many like in March and April.

Do you think you could try milking the ewe??

4. drafthorsechick

Oct 15, 2007
    Iowa
    Wow, you guys are sure right about no one having any goats in milk right now--definitely the wrong time of the year to be looking. I'm going to try a couple of commercial dairies and maybe head to Amish country tomorrow, though we're supposed to have a blizzard with 6-10" of snow and white out conditions. I was going to go today but it was so foggy I couldn't see anything, and finding country homes in the fog doesn't work very well.

The problem with milking the ewe is she is an American Barbados, and the ABs are not the tamest critters in the world, plus her udder is so tiny it's just really difficult to get much out of her. I don't want to sore up her udder by hand milking, either, as she has another lamb that she is taking care of.

I even went to Wal-Mart and bought a hand held breast pump, but darned if I can get the dumb thing to work. What can I say, I guess sheep and women are shaped a little differently. I've used them on mares before with great luck, so I thought I was being very clever. Guess not.

A lady emailed me a recipe for a milk replacer using whole milk, cream, and evaporated milk, so I'm going to try that.

We are SO done with winter lambing around here! From now on we'll lamb and kid at the same time so that there is extra milk around if it's needed. One ewe and two does to go and we're done until early summer when we'll have a couple of crias. Whew!

Therese

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    To bad you are not here in Washington - :-( I know of a few around here!

6. drafthorsechick

Oct 15, 2007
    Iowa
    Allison,

What is it with y'all up there in the Pacific Northwest?? I see all of these *wonderful* ads for LMs (my fave breed), Obers, Toggs, and start to get all excited, only to find out they're in Washinton, or Idaho, or some other place really, really far from Iowa.

You guys got a corner on the goat market, or what? :p

Therese

7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I know what you mean Therese!! There is a BUNCH of really nice goats out west! A couple of the top Nubian herds(Kastdemur's and LakeShore) are in CA! :roll: A LONG ways from Ohio....so that means if we ever get anything from them...they'll be going by air.

8. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    LOL Therese.. I know EXACTLY how you feel. Almost every single one (note I said almost :D) of my favorite herds are on the West coast! :p

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I hope you're able to find one Therese, I sent you some emails that some people sent me about does.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You know thats funny, I live in washington and for me most of my favorite herds are back east! The last three years i have shipped a buck from back east because i really couldn;t find anything i liked here. There are only two herds of alpines that i really like here one in washington and one in california, but it was cheaper for me to ship a just as nice buck kid from georgia including cost of the kid, then it was for me to drive down to california and pick up a kid.
    beth

11. drafthorsechick

Oct 15, 2007
    Iowa

Sarah,

I only got the one email from you about the lady in Pomroy, IA--were there others? If so could you please re-send those? I am still looking.

So far I found a six year old Nubian/Lamancha (with cute kinder ears!) that the owner wants $250 for, and I heard from an Amish dairy ower who has a two year old registered Alpine doe who kidded the night before last and is also $250.

I'm guessing that so far for the money, the registered Alpine would be the better buy, right? I realize I haven't seen either goat, and conformation, attachment, quality, etc. all certainly mean a lot, but in general wouldn't a younger, registered doe be worth more than an older grade?

Remeber, I'm a newbie, so sorry if my questions sound kinda dumb!

Therese

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I looked back through my email, I thought I had sent you a couple, I couldnt' find any more :?

As far as does go, it would depend upon if you want registered or not, personally I would go for the one that has better conformation :)