Wanting to de-horn my buck

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have a question. Are horns like a fingernail? What I want to know is, If I take a hacksaw to the horn a little at a time (over a period of time), can I cut the horn off with little blood? My therory is that the blood vessels will recede (sp?) and I can cut the horn off with little damage, if I cut a notch around the base of the horn, and go a little at a time with it.

Any ideas? Banding is not possible anymore, his horns are too big unless I can whittle it down where the "V" is.

2. packhillboers

packhillboers Senior Member

Leave the horns. He needs them more than you don't and it is messy and hard on him to trim these things once they are grown out. Better to disbud at 3 days old than to try and de-horn later but.. people do it from what I have read on GS. I also have read of some disasters too on here.

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

People do that a lot(what you are describing). My friend saws off my bucks scurs every couple years. Each time they take longer to grow and dont grow back as strong so maybe it will work?

4. Skyz84

Skyz84 Member

Jul 25, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    I would not try to cut the horns. There is a LOT of blood.

I have banded adult dwarf does and I banded a 5 month old nigerian buck. The only bad thing is the horns on the buck grew faster then the band could work. He has small scurs now that break off from time to time. The banding on the does worked beautifully. If you decide to band you need to get the band all the way down at the base of the horn. Where the groove of soft tissue begins. Have blood stop powder on hand. It can be very bloody If they break the horns off too soon.

You can also sand down the horns. They still keep growing but it takes the Sharp point off.

5. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Horns are not the same as scurs or fingernails ... there are huge and major blood-vessels. For me, if you have horns, you're stuck with them. It can be life-threatening to remove them. Some people have banded successfully, but I still wouldn't suggest it ... nevertheless it is better than sawing them off. That would be traumatic for both of you.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, PLEASE do not cut the hors off like that.

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Goats of da UP

Mar 27, 2012
    Escanaba, MI, U.S.
    Yea, I have a relative who owns an elk farm, and they harvest the velvet antlers. Let me tell you, sawing off a velvet antler involves a LOT of blood. The same would happen with cutting a horn. It has a strong blood supply and nerve system.

If you could get larger cattle bands, it could be an option? Not saying banding is a great way to go, but if the horns must go, then that is the best option. I am currently banding the horns on a one year old boer wether, but he was stunted, so his horns are pretty small and narrow.

8. GTAllen

GTAllen Goat Feeder

Jul 22, 2012
    Walters, Oklahoma
    I don't think it works like that. I would not do it unless there is problem.

For example, I have a doe who's horn has grown bent to slightly touching the back of her skull. Last night, I trimmed about 3/4 inch off and she bleed a little. I was prepared to quick-clot it if I had to, but it clotted on it's on quickly. It was pretty traumatic for my girlfriend and I. The doe was more interested in some feed....

9. JustKidding

JustKidding New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Newhampshire
    try using the castrate bands around them. Good luck :thumbup:

10. fd123

fd123 Senior Member

May 29, 2012
    macon, Ga.
    My 80 yr old neighbor cutts about half of his goats horns off with loppers that you cutt tree limbs with! I dont know if they bleed or not...ive never watched him do it because i HIGHLY DISAPPROVE! :veryangry: ! Id NEVER do it to any of my goats not unless it was life threatening....Ive read that the horns help cool them off on hot days, and a few other things... If horns wasnt supposed to be on them..then god wouldnt have created them with horns.....
    Just my thought and opinion....
    If your wanting to de-horn because your scared they may harm the other animals ...why not just do what LIZ does and tape tennis balls on the end of them? :ROFL: :ROFL: lol....
    Best of luck to you whatever you decide!! :greengrin:

11. JustKidding

JustKidding New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Newhampshire
    It does help them cool off.But it could hert or kill the goat. I have heard of goats getting hrns stuck in hay nets.

12. packhillboers

packhillboers Senior Member

I know that goats horns in domestic tight places with small pens can be detrimental for goats to get their horns stuck, but if that is the worry, it may be best to bar up the horns with pvc pipe and duct tape. I worry about our goats at times when they are younger getting stuck in the fence so I don't leave them unattended for long. When they get older. . the heads are way too big to fit through.

Is there a reason to have his horns messed with?

13. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I think banding would be your best bet for dehorning him... I would wait till this winter though.... so you don't have flies bothering it.....

14. JustKidding

JustKidding New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Newhampshire
    I think that would work.

15. I'm not familiar with how the banding works? I have a Nigerian dwarf buckling who is 4 mos old and was supposed to be debudded. Feeling him yesterday I realized one side has what appears to be a small scur, the other side has a horn that is about an inch and a half much to my surprise. I may want to show him so obviously I'll have to do something but I don't want to cause major pain and trauma either.
    I have never used a disbudding iron, I watched the same person who my buckling came from do my doeling and it worries me. I've heard people not getting it done properly (as is the case of my buckling) or "burning" their little brain. Does that really happen?
    My husband wants horns on his Boers so no problem there.
    Suggestions?

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Well that was a waste of time. No, he has pretty big horns (he is a full size goat), so I can't get the bander down around them. No I can't just put tennis balls because he hits the other bucks with the blunt of his horns, because the horns curl back. I will try sanding them down so I can fit the bander, but the horns need to go.

17. JustKidding

JustKidding New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Newhampshire
    Start with the top of his horns then when they fall of do it again till it is the sizes you want.

18. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I think you get the band on the best you can then kinda 'pull/push' it down to the base... :shrug: I have never banded horns so I'm really not sure...

19. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hm, buckling or wethers? Buck scurs can be pretty bad so the disbudding has to be spot-on. Wether scurs are like doe scurs and usually aren't bad at all.

If he is young enough, you could get him reburned. Goats have two layers of scull. Unless you hold the iron on for longer than 10 seconds at a time, the chance of brain damage is incredibly slim. When we disbudded we did a few seconds, check, a few seconds, repeat, until it was good. Bucks usually need a special burning called figure 8 to get the job done right.

[​IMG]

If you want to band the horns, you'll have to wait until they're a little longer. :thumb:

20. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I banded my Alpine/Nubian mix doe. It worked out for me. I did have the bands on (changing them every 3-4 weeks) for about 8 months. One horn broke off on its own but I had to have the vet cut off the other one. There was a lot of blood when the one horn broke off but there was very little blood when the vet cut the other one off. I think the horn was dead but was just too thick to fall off on its own. Here is a link to a site that gives step by step instructions on banding: http://goat-info.com/removing%20horns%20adult.htm