The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not really want to be running two herds of goats. I am on one acre, and I don't have enough room to run both my dairy herd (5 nubians/1 lamancha) and a boer/meat herd. I picked up two boer does two months ago, and I was going to cross them with my Nubian buck in hopes of meatier kids. Well, I lost one of the does because a neighbor left a stall door open behind her while my main gate was open. It's been three weeks and still haven't recovered her back :( That's besides the point of the post though. I feel like I might be better off selling my Nubian buck and picking up a Boer buckling/buck to use with my herd, and then I could hopefully get more size on my kids after feeding them 6-10 months to butcher. It just seems that the dairy kids take so much more food to get any meat out of them. I know it is possible, but I have seen success with a cross and getting a little more bulk. I was starting to research this option more when someone told me I'd risk killing my dairy does because the kids would be larger at birth. What has everyone else experienced???

·
14,615 Posts
Sorry you lost the one doeling.
You will not kill your Nubian, that is not true.
We have put Boer over purebred Nubian. No birth complications at all.
One thing you don't want to do is over grain the doe in her last few weeks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, she was an older doe. I hadn't heard of any sightings, but I just had a call today that someone saw her yesterday. So, I'll be back out looking for her. At this point, she's completely wild, so I'll probably have a neighbor shoot her. At least, we can get some meat from her that way. My biggest worry is the Sheriff told me I am responsible if someone hits her, so I need her "off the streets" some how. Even if I sell my Nubian buck and go with a Boer buck, I will still have access to a registered Nubian buck if I want to breed some replacement does. I appreciate the input Nancy! I got into the goats to be more self-sufficient, and I'm loving the milk and all the cheese I've learned to make. Now, I'm wanting to add the meat. I know I can butcher the dairy goats, but I'd rather get more bang for my buck if that makes sense.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Lot's of people butcher pure bred nubians. And to get a good amount of meat on the kids, you will probably use about the same amount of feed on meat goats as you will dairy goats.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I was starting to research this option more when someone told me I'd risk killing my dairy does because the kids would be larger at birth. What has everyone else experienced???
While you want to make sure that the buck you're using does not throw kids the size of draft horses, with a little research there is no more risk of killing your does by breeding them to a Boer or Kiko or any other breed of meat goat than there is by breeding them to your Nubian buck. I have several Nubian does, as well as Nubian/Kiko cross does whom I have bred to both Boer and Kiko bucks. I have had no problems outside of the usual kids getting tangled up during delivery. You might want to give some thought to picking out a doe who consistently delivers heavier kids who are a combination of male and female, then find a meat buck to breed her to. That way you can get your feet wet with the meat thing without having to deal with another herd, or even another buck. Just a little something to think about. :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
All of my dual purpose goats have been out of dairy does by Boer bucks. To date there have been no more issues with kidding than with dairy to dairy breeding. But i do cut way back on feed and just give hay and suppliments the last month or so of gestation. I over fed at the end of my first kidding season and had massive kids that looked like they were several weeks old at birth. Those kids were by a LaMancha out of Boer/Alpine and Boer/Oberhasli does and two of the three needed help getting out.

I keep two bucks here at my farm, a mini nubian to use on my mini nubian does as well as my maiden standard does, and a meat mix (half Boer, a quarter each Kiko and Nubian) to use on my mature dairy and dual purpose does for meatier babies... but with just enough dairy in him to give me girls who can put a decent amount of milk in the bucket if i want to retain any as dual purpose does.

I may consider a full Boer buck in the future, if I end up retaining many of the doelings from the buck I have now. I also have my eye on a gorgeous red ennobled Boer buck for my pure Nubian doe for her second freshening. For dual purpose I absolutely LOVE the Boer/Nubian crosses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts