The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

As a lot you probably already know I am very into judging animals with 4H as well as showing. This year I have decided I want to judge some youth shows. I can provide results from all my years in livestock as well as personal reccomendations. I am by no means a dairy judge so meat goat, sheep, cattle and pigs would be great! I love judging them all and especially love showmanship.

If anyone knows of any shows around NC that wouldnt mind having a young judge let me know. I have plans for a show or two next year that are very close to home.

Also, I know this is quite a ways off for me but I want to ABGA certified... who knows the requirements for that?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi everyone,

As a lot you probably already know I am very into judging animals with 4H as well as showing. This year I have decided I want to judge some youth shows. I can provide results from all my years in livestock as well as personal reccomendations. I am by no means a dairy judge so meat goat, sheep, cattle and pigs would be great! I love judging them all and especially love showmanship.

If anyone knows of any shows around NC that wouldnt mind having a young judge let me know. I have plans for a show or two next year that are very close to home.

Also, I know this is quite a ways off for me but I want to ABGA certified... who knows the requirements for that?
Can't help with any shows in NC, but have you tried reaching out to the 4-H/youth extension agent in your county and letting them know you're looking for judging opportunities? Not sure if the rules are the same in NC, but most 4-H judges here have to go through a training/certification process, and I think you have to be 18 too. Even if you're not able to become an "official" judge yet, they may be able to pass your name along to fun show committees, etc.

The only other thing I can recommend is to make sure you try out for your collegiate livestock judging team when the time comes! I know goats aren't a big part of most major competitions yet, but the contacts you'll make will be a huge asset (even if they are the wrong species!).

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on my county 4H livestock judging team already and that's why I can't judge our county shows... my siblings and team members show at these shows.

I think I do have a couple shows in NC next year and I havs contacted some counties about judging.

I would be open to any shows. I feel I should start smaller and work my way up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts