The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, thank you for taking your time to read my post and hopefully I put it in the right place. I want to purchase this nubian doe but when looking at the pictures of the herd as I have not actually seen them in person yet. Do you think this herd is a little under weight? I am nervous about this purchase. The gal seems to know about giving everyone their shots and feeding and all but it still makes me nervous. All advice is welcome. I really want to be sure they dont look under weight but to me they do. Thank you. I should add I forgot to ask about testing. This is the nubian doe I want to buy. I will post pictures of the rest of the herd.
Plant Dog Carnivore Tree Sky

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,016 Posts
Trust your instincts. If you're nervous about what you have seen, then something seems off to you. How old is the doe(ling)? Will she be breeding stock for herd improvement, for home milking, or because you are wanting to add to your herd, etc.? If, you decide to purchase her, get a fecal test done right away. Ask if the doe(ling) has been bred, and whether or not the Buck in the last picture is her sire. And/or potentially the sire to her kids if she is already bred.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think they're fine. It looks like that solid black one is copper deficient, and a couple others may be as well. A couple of them could be carrying a big worm load. I would ask about fecals, and check the FAMACHA of the goat you are wanting to buy. Definitely ask to see records of CAE, CL, and Johnes test results if that is important to you.
Some dairy goats are just more boney, and if their rumen is empty when the photos are taken, they look really awful.
Be prepared to run fecals and deworm the new doe when you get her home. But if you don't feel good about the purchase, don't do it! There will be other goats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you NigerianNewbie and Cedarwind farms for your advice. I decided to go take a look at her and the herd is in pretty bad shape. 😥 I felt bad. The herd is most definitely worse than the pictures show. Even more sad. she has been exposed to the bucks on a daily basis and she was stinky like a buck so most like pregnant. It didnt take long to figure out something is wrong with them. Thank you helping me decide what to do.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,016 Posts
You'll find the doe you're looking for one day. Just trust your instincts when something feels off, even if you're not positive at the time precisely what that could be. Glad you went to see the herd, now you know why you felt hesitant. Good job for recognizing potential problems down the road.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,141 Posts
You'll find the doe you're looking for one day. Just trust your instincts when something feels off, even if you're not positive at the time precisely what that could be. Glad you went to see the herd, now you know why you felt hesitant. Good job for recognizing potential problems down the road.
Agreed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts