The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think pack goats are amazing! I have been wanting to raise my own to have but I dont know much about raising my own pack goat. I know there is a lot of training and I have heard its best to raise it from a bottle baby. Are there certain breeds that make better pack goats than others? Where do I start? I need all the help and information I can get :)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a fast and light hiker and I want to be very bonded with my goats but still have that boundary line that I am in charge. I plan on going on just day trips and probably wont be carrying much. My dad wanted me to get some pack goats as well and train them so that he can take them hunting with him, he will probably need them to carry heavier loads than I will. If I train the goats would my dad be able to take them? or do they usually only do well with the trainer?

As far as breed I was thinking a cross between dairy and meat so they will have the muscles to pack but also the agility. I have had many Nubian Boer crosses and they seem to be very fit for packing (in my mind) but I dont know much about it so if im wrong go ahead and let me know

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay Thanks! That makes a lot of sense, I have never thought about it that way. That is very helpful :)

How are the expenses for pack goats? As far as training, is there anything online that is helpful? Do you have your own ways of training?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.