The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here, the iron content in the water is so high you can practically smelt ore from a bucket of water. Ok, maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but there is a lot of iron in the groundwater. Makes sense, considering a major part of the local economy is iron mining, with cities named things like Iron Mountain, Iron River, Iron Woods, etc. after IRON.

It is setting me up for a never ending battle with low copper. I use my black goat SuzieQ as my barometer of sorts. If she starts to turn rusty...she and everyone else gets a copper bolus. It has worked. Right now, she is sleek and jet black.

I just got some newbies to the herd, and they've now passed quarantine. I thought my new little black goat looked pretty good...until I saw him next to SuzieQ. Nobody is in heat, so I was letting him hang out with the girls (under direct supervision) Also, I'd just given him a light clip job, too. Does he look low in copper, and in need of a bolus? If I bolus him, should I be giving Winter, the girl who came from the same farm, one as well? I assume that they're copper status might be similar, considering they were on the same land and diet.

He is just so shiny and not flaky at all. No hair loss around his eyes, either. Yes, he is going to need copper eventually (it is inevitable here), but it is just a different kind of rustiness.

I don't have a new closeup on Winter. But her dark buckskin areas don't look like they are going rusty.

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Yes, it looks like he needs one to me. In the pic of him rearing at your doe, you can see a little fish tail starting.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tomorrow he shall get copper, then! Winter, too. I just got new weights on them today, too, so I can measure out the proper dosage. Buying a large dog scale was one of the best investments I've made when it comes to keeping goats!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts