Warming milk for bottle babies - how long do you have to?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CodyAcres, Mar 23, 2009.

1. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Should I still be warming the milk for my bottle babies, or can I just pour it straight from the fridge and feed it to them? They are 7 weeks old and 4.5 weeks old now.

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    No I wouldnt give it to them cold. I would always warm it up.

I use the microwave and warm it up for a couple seconds - real simple and easy.

The kids can get stomach achs from the cold milk - their bodies cant handle it cold.

3. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Thanks Stacey! That's what I do (use the microwave), but just thought I'd check to make sure it was necessary.

Jamie

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I use the microwave and my finger. When it is just a bit warm, barely warmer than my finger its good. If you want to use a thermometer I think 100F is good.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I check it on my wrist. My bottle baby last year was SO SO picky that if it was to cold or to warm he wouldnt drink it - I have to have it JUST RIGHT :roll: I tried to break him of the habit but he wouldnt eat all day! SO I just went back to makign sure it was where he liked it.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I also use my wrist to... when it feels cozy warm... not hot .....is it safe to give to the kid.....but I ..."do not" use the microwave ...it kills the good antibodies in the colostrum/milk ....What I do is ....run hot tap water .....get a bowel... put the hot water in it ...and put a bottle in the middle of the bowel..with the milk in the bottle........check on it once in a while...put the lid on it then...kinda swoosh it and shake it around ....to mix the temp more evenly....to get a more accurate temp.... on your wrist....if it needs more warming ...put it back in ....until ready.....and when it is ....you can feed the kid.... :wink:

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I do the same as you, toth boer goats, for exactly the same reason!

LW

8. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I guess I am weird cause I make it freash for every bottle. YYYAAAA I have findly wheen 4 of them and four more to go.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup:

No you are not weird at all.....some don't have access to fresh milk at all times... so they have improvise ......I am happy that you get to wean 4 babies....that must ease your mind... :wink:

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    General rule is warm it like you would a baby bottle - to blood temp. But I have found individual kids like it slightly warmer or slightly cooler.

Only feed cold milk if you are feeding it right from day 1 and ad lib. You can get some good results that way, but you shouldnt chop and change them from warm to cold or vice versa.

I dont heat colostrum in the microwave, use warm water for that but normal milk and replacer I warm in the microwave and it is fine.

I make up about 3 - 4 L of milk at one time. Mine get restricted to 1L per kid/lamb per day. So depending on how many I am feeding, sometimes that doesnt last very long lol

11. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    When we raised bottle babies, ours preferred warm milk over cold milk and we used the microwave as well.