The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been struggling with a doe of mine. She has had this white mucus build up going on for a while.
I can't get an answer from anyone from back when I had a Facebook account. And spoke with a Veterinarian friend who has goats and they didn't have an idea.
Has anyone seen this before(will post picture in comments)
I feel like it's just messy heat, because it pops up and gets worse everytime she's in heat. ND so heat is about every12 days.... meaning just as she starts clearing up it flares up again.

I just want to find someone or help with getting it figured out/diagnosed so I can make it better.
It's irritating, and makes her have sores from tail swishing.
About a month ago I used NuStock and that cleared it up a lot and healed the sores. But heat has returned again and the flare up returned.

It doesn't smell bad that I've noticed, I take a whiff everytime I milk(twice a day) and it's been a year since she kidded. (I had planned on breeding her back 2 months ago but didn't want to take her to a buck not knowing what it was.
Help! Please.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 4 other Nigerian Dwarf Does, no one else shown signs of this. So, I just don’t know.
I will post a picture today of what it looks like when I go out to milk. (It looks MUCH BETTER NOW, but the white mucusy spots are back again)

·
Super Moderator
58,203 Posts
If she is doing a lot of actual discharge from the vaginal area, I wonder if she has a low grade uterine infection. Low grade infection won't smell. I think what is on the outside is irritation and secondary infection from the discharge. I would do iodine or chlorhexidine on the outside.

For uterine infection, you can do a week of twice a day penicillin. The last 2 days of penicillin, you also give a shot of lute. So 7 days of penicillin and 2 days of lute.

·
Registered
29,941 Posts
I agree, looks like staph. Staph can be very stubborn. Chlorhexidine is great for this. Be gentle cleaning...pat dry then apply the chlorhexidine.
I would also boost her immune system with vit c and feeding her fresh raw garlic daily.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Also agree that it looks like staph infection. Her heat should not be a 12 day cycle, the NDs have the normal 21 days. You might want to get that checked out too, there could be multiple factors in what you are seeing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you ALLLL!!!! i have been trying to figure this out for a while now, to no avail! Now we are getting places. I'm just about to head out to milk, so I'll get a picture of how it looks today. It started flaring up again 3 days ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also agree that it looks like staph infection. Her heat should not be a 12 day cycle, the NDs have the normal 21 days. You might want to get that checked out too, there could be multiple factors in what you are seeing.
I thought I might have the numbers wrong. 21 not 12. Haha. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Fair-Haven
4,610 Posts
I agree - staph. I had a buckling do this in the same area. Washed with dawn, used cholorhexidine and then slathered NuStock every 3 days. Cleared up in a week or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts