The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am new here and I wanted to reach out for advice.
I currently have a ND that gave birth to twins about a month ago. They've been together ever since and she's been very good with nursing them. Yesterday I noticed that one of her kids seemed to be in the same spot when I got back from work. I picked her up and noticed that she had a bump inside her mouth and her tongue seemed swollen. I thought that maybe my other ND goat might've rammed her and busted her mouth but it looked different. So I've googled and a few things tell me that she might have sore mouth, warts, or poxvirus.

I'm not entirely sure, I checked the mom's teats and she had bumps on both sides. So far the other baby doesn't show any bumps. What could this be?

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
I cant tell from the picture...too dark. does the bumps on mom look scabby or more like whitish pimples? You may have to gently bottle baby to be sure she get what she needs. If you hav access to quality essential oils, I would do a drop of lavender in a little distilled water and syringe flush her mouth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant tell from the picture...too dark. does the bumps on mom look scabby or more like whitish pimples? You may have to gently bottle baby to be sure she get what she needs. If you hav access to quality essential oils, I would do a drop of lavender in a little distilled water and syringe flush her mouth.
It looks slightly raised and brown. I will try to get better photos and upload them soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone, I am new here and I wanted to reach out for advice.
I currently have a ND that gave birth to twins about a month ago. They've been together ever since and she's been very good with nursing them. Yesterday I noticed that one of her kids seemed to be in the same spot when I got back from work. I picked her up and noticed that she had a bump inside her mouth and her tongue seemed swollen. I thought that maybe my other ND goat might've rammed her and busted her mouth but it looked different. So I've googled and a few things tell me that she might have sore mouth, warts, or poxvirus.

I'm not entirely sure, I checked the mom's teats and she had bumps on both sides. So far the other baby doesn't show any bumps. What could this be?

UPDATE: The bumps are slightly white, I was able to bottle feed her about 4oz before she stopped and I noticed a foul smell coming from her mouth, it was almost sourish. After I fed her she went right to her mom and started nursing on her teat. Her entire mouth is filled with bumps and her teeth seem to be misaligned from it.

View attachment 205994 View attachment 205995 View attachment 205996

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HA, google will always provide worse case scenario. Thanks
UPDATE: The bumps are slightly white, I was able to bottle feed her about 4oz before she stopped and I noticed a foul smell coming from her mouth, it was almost sourish. After I fed her she went right to her mom and started nursing on her teat. Her entire mouth is filled with bumps and her teeth seem to be misaligned from it

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,660 Posts
UPDATE: The bumps are slightly white, I was able to bottle feed her about 4oz before she stopped and I noticed a foul smell coming from her mouth, it was almost sourish. After I fed her she went right to her mom and started nursing on her teat. Her entire mouth is filled with bumps and her teeth seem to be misaligned from it
If it were my kid i would pull the kid from mom and bottle feed it so you can keep a close eye on the baby. Maybe if you called a vet could help!!!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,660 Posts

I had a doe to kid and her baby bit her teats and made them have big bumps on them but i don't know about the bumps in the mouth

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Could MAYBE be a staph infection. Sometimes, that will start as raised bumps in the skin, and then go whitish as the infection comes to a head. I agree, if there's a bad smell, get in contact with a vet.
I hope all goes well, and welcome to TGS!

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Poor baby. I agree a vet would be wise. Sometimes getting hands on the issue is needed. Sore mouth is very painful. While we treat it with drying type meds like diluted iodine or even Mastitis treatment like Tomorrow..this helps, It needs to run its course. Do this for mom along with supporting both hers and baby immune system with b complex. Give mom some fresh raw garlic as well.. when applying treatment..collect any scabs that come loose to help prevent spread. Burn them if you can otherwise double bag them..
We of course can not use iodine or Tomorrow in babies mouth. The lavender essential oil in distilled water will help heal the mouth safely and offer some natural pain relief.
When you bottle baby, make sure not to over feed. That can cause its own problems. Keep watch on her tummy..look for a flat but firm tumny..not poochy and not sunken in.
Sore mouth can take a few weeks to clear up.

Best wishes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.