Was that dumb or dumb luck?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Potemkyn, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Last year I had a goat tha began getting 'fat.' She was typically a lean goat and initially we thought this was a good thing, putting on some weight. Then she began to look so fat it looked like she was pregnant (which couldn't have been the case, it was August). Finally, she got the bottle jar look.

Now, we were still fairly new to goats so I went to the feed store and asked what we should do. The fella there handed us some Eprinex and said give her a drench till she looks better. Well, that's what we thought he said anyway. So we drenched her with the stuff. Three times at least. And she got better.

So, now we've got a new bottle of it (the old bottle got knocked over and the rest leaked out). Now I have the new package I read that it's a Pour-on.

Strange thing, seemed to work...

Mike

2. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Even if the label says pour on, in goats you give it as a drench.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a pour on wouldnt do any good for internal parasites -- so thats why he said to give it orally.

Becareful what you give orally as you can mess up their rumens easily. Best to get something that is an injectable or oral administration to be safe.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Pour ons are very strong so they work well....I have used cydectin with great luck