The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any home made shampoo recipes for washing goats or brushing them with something to make their coats shiny for showing?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I dont know of anything homemade, but ill look at horse products for various grooming products that I need for my goats... they have a variety of showsheen, medicated shampoos, waterless shampoos...

My only idea is diluting baby oil with water then spraying it on goats for a little extra shine.

·
2,203 Posts
Problem with dawn dish soap is it takes all the oils out of their hair, leaving a dull appearance. I prefer a high moisture shampoo and conditioner, like pro v for example. Or you can use dawn, just remember to buy a good deep conditioner for after. I like coconut oil rubbed into their skin when they're done. Right before you go in the ring spray final mist on their coat. Depends on if you have dairy or meat goats, but you want to spray places you want to emphasize. In dairy, spray all over and brush in, then go over again on the ribs, rump, shoulder, and neck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all!!!I didn't get email in time so I ended up washing them with hald dog shampoo and second time with human shampoo with an oil base. Seemed to work okay but love the oil idea for afterwards - will need to try that next time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts