Washing udders in cold weather-special recipes?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Molly&Monica, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Molly&Monica

Molly&Monica New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Loma, CO
    I have not been washing my does udder since the cold weather has set in. We have had highs in the 20's and lows as low as -24!!!! I know that's not a clean practice, but I would feel terrible if I damaged her skin. She isn't shaved, either!! Do any of you have an "anti-frezze" (not antifreeze of course!) recipe for your udder wash that dries quickly without cracking the udder?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when we had low temps and i was still milking I would jsut brush the udder off real good and then milk. I didnt wash the udder. THe milk was consumed in less then one day anyway so no time for bacteria to develop.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If its below 10 degrees outside, we don't wash, but if its above that we wash. We just use warm water with a bit of soap in it :)

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I use warm water and soap also. I just make sure I dry the udder really well with a clean towel. On very cold days I usually have a heater going next to me because I hate having cold hands (and I'm sure the goats don't appreciate it either). The heat from the heater also helps dry the udder and hair so that it is completely dry before the goat goes back outside.

There are medicated products that can help prevent chapped udders if it comes to that...but I have never needed to use them. If I ever noticed dryness or irritation around the skin I would probably put a little bit shea butter on it.

5. Molly&Monica

Molly&Monica New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Loma, CO
    OK-thanks! It's 3 degerees and I am headed out, so I willl brush her off well. What about shaving? Also seems like a bad idea in this weather. The heater is a gfreat idea, but between the hen house, and water heaters I am out of extension cords!! Might have to rig something like that up!

Our milk so far is just for us and the family loves it, so what I'm doing is working for them. Now it's just a matter of tweeking SOMETHING so that I can drink it!

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I wouldn't completely shave the udder in the winter but I have trimmed some of the longer hairs that get in the way so I don't accidentally pull on them.

7. Molly&Monica

Molly&Monica New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Loma, CO
    OK-I can trim them up. As stretched out as she is, her udder isn't really all that hairy anyway!!

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Trimming the longer hairs when its cold is actually better then leaving it on. When theres long hair the moisturwe stays there, causing the goat to get gold. When theres no hair the udder complelty dries much faster. wet goat is much colder then a dry one. I make sure to keep a pretty close dairy clip on my girls during winter time.
    beth

9. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    The best thing that I think works great are baby wipes. They are great for cold weather and unclipped mammary systems.