The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My boyfriend and I are currently looking at goats in Washington to take home with us to our cabin in Alaska. We would like to bring home either two doelings or a doeling and a pregnant doe who isnt too far along. We are hoping to take them north with us in a couple weeks and drive through canada. As far as I can tell we can fill out a short form for transporting livestock THROUGH, since our destination isn't Canada. As long as we have their certification papers and a vet bill of health it should be easy... I would hope.

Has anyone traveled with goats through canada?
I'm worried about possible quarantine?
Another option is to declare as pets. Is that smoother? Anyone tried this?
The border website is pretty obtuse, so this might not even be possible.
Any advice?

We could always ship them home, but that is probably more expensive. I would rather drive them with us as we are driving anyway and they would probably be happier.
Advice about shipping goats is welcome as well.
Thanks!
-Rachel

·
I'm watching you
22,198 Posts
I haven't done it with goats. I have done it with a burro however. It was easy at the time. Check with your vet, he/she should know the rules. Another idea would be to ride the ferry up the northwest passage. Then you never have to go through Canada.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Nice little drive you have planned :) I know that years ago when we were shipping goats to a dairy in Canada that stopped when the mad cow scare came about and they closed the boarder. I dont know the current status about it now. I could give my vet a call tomorrow and have him look into it. What part of Washington you thinking about buying from? Being in this state I can maybe give you few places to look. If money is no problem, you might even drop down into the Portland area and see if Lauren (DES RUHIGESTELLE/TEMPO). Granted would help to know what breed you are after as well.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
if your vet doesn't know, call the vet at the border (on the Canadian side). someone here was wondering the same thing before but can't remember the outcome. i think the big rule is you have to book it through Canada b/c the goats CANNOT come out of the trailer, or else they'll be euthanized or something....

what about air shipping?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Call Customs - both US and Canada. Plan to spend some time on the phone waiting on hold. They will tell you exactly what they need to have and how to get them through. You can ask about pet vs livestock.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My boyfriend and I are currently looking at goats in Washington to take home with us to our cabin in Alaska. We would like to bring home either two doelings or a doeling and a pregnant doe who isnt too far along. We are hoping to take them north with us in a couple weeks and drive through canada. As far as I can tell we can fill out a short form for transporting livestock THROUGH, since our destination isn't Canada. As long as we have their certification papers and a vet bill of health it should be easy... I would hope.
According to what I read about a year ago or so, in order to transport livestock through Canada they have to be in a sealed 'container'. If the container is found to be compromised at any of the check points, the animals will be seized and destroyed. That could have changed since then, but Canada has gotten nasty since we closed our border during the BSE crisis.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
it's scrapies they're worried about. I've been looking into importing goats from US to Canada, and there are REALLY strict rules about who's farms you can import from - mostly from scrapies approved ones and there's a lot of paperwork that goes with it. the CFIA want to be able to track where possibly infected flocks/herds come from and are going to in the US. I'm guessing that's why they want a sealed, uncompromised container for goats travelling THROUGH Canada.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome responses! Thanks to all. We're buying kinder goats. Looking at Dogwood Acres on Thursday. I'll ask their vet about borders. I was definitely under the impression we would have to keep them in the truck and hustle. Ferry is an option I haven't considered. Have to look into the expenses of it. Money is a bit tight.

Really appreciate the discussion <3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turns out the ferry is booked through august to get to the mainland. Bummer. We are leaning toward shipping them by air now. Talking to the breeder today!

Any advice for shipping goats? What can you do to minimize their trauma? Obviously two babies together in a box will be best. Any box or food advice or maybe a link to a thread already discussing this? I'm new to goats and the forum!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts