The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a reg. Nigerian that is due in a month and a half. Her kids will be able to be dual registered with AGS and ADGA. My question is about tattooing. Am I supposed to do that, or is it the new owners job? Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I've never raised registered's before! Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I have a doe that's registered, but I haven't seen a tattoo on her. Would it be on the ear or tail? Maybe I should check that.I'm trying to register my buck, would I have to tattoo him to do that?

·
Registered
856 Posts
A lot of people never tattoo but yet still reg them

But the correct thing is to tattoo them so when u sell them the tattoo matches the papers

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
they should be tattooed before registration so its the breeders job. Now there are times I do tattoo after Ive send applications in. Ive also bought goats that were registered but never tattooed.

A few times I have let a kid go without being tattooed but thats to someone who is fully aware I didnt actually get around to tattooing. One kid was picked up within moments of be posting her for sale and I didnt even have her application ready. So I quickly got it all together but because i was heading off to work right after I didnt have the time to tattoo. THe buyer was fully aware and was going to have a breeder friend near her do it. Fast forward a year I find out the yearling wasnt tattooed so I saw her at a show and I tattooed the doe.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So do I just put any number? How does choosing a number work?

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
The tattoos should reflect the kid's herd/farm place of birth. So if they're born on your property, they get your tattoos. You have to go through AGS and ADGA to get your herd tattoo. Once you have that, the herd tattoo will go in the right ear and kid number will go in the left. Every year the registries put out that year's letter...like this year is "D" and next year will be "E." So all your kids this year should be numbered like D1...D2...D3...and so on in the order they were born. So in example...all the kids born on my property this year have a right ear tattoo of KEW and left ear tattoo of D1, D2, D3, etc.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks KW Farms! That is helpful! I guess I should register with them soon then!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts