Wasting Hay!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatmama2, May 10, 2009.

1. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Hi All, I use the hay racks from Hoegger's and like them, but the waste is killing me. They pull all the hay out and scatter it, and I think I lose about half of what they're being fed. It's good hay, and expensive! I would love to see what other folks do for hayracks. I am a good carpenter and can follow plans...does anyone have ideas on good feeders? Thanks! Brooke

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Good luck....if you find one or figure one out......PLEASE SHARE!

3. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I dont have a picture of one at the moment-but we use those key hole feeders and the left over stems and such we clean out of the bunk and feed to the calves and bucks. Most of the time it all goes to the calves/steers. My dad even came up with the idea of making a smaller keyhole feeder for me when I had the minis-now we just use them for the lambs and baby goats.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH I hate all the waste. When we put hay in feeders they throw it all out to get to the leafs on the bottom, then they look at you like "You expect me to eat hay off the ground"? I can not use key hole feeders, my goat have to have horns.

5. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I have a couple with horns, too. I will look around and see what I can find...I'll share if I come across anything really good!

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I believe we have one of the same feeders you are speaking of. They do waste a lot but I figured out a way to stop some of it. I took the "No Climb" horse fencing (the kind with small holes, I think 2x4") and cut two pieces from it to attach to the hay feeder in the two spots where most of the hay was falling out. Works great! They still waste some but not nearly as much as before. I attached it with wire and made sure the ends were covered well, so as not to poke the goaties. You could probably use zip ties too, that would make a quick fix.

Hope that helps!

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've found that if they can stick their head through something to eat it they waste the least amount of hay, but if you have goats with horns then you need to find a feeder with a piece on the bottom of it to catch the excess hay.

8. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Capriola nd, do you have a picture? I'm actually going to design one myself using a frame and hog paneling. But I'd like to see what you have. The goats also pull the flake out of the top of the feeder, and they waste it that way, too.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I ....to........ hate the waste.....but it seems like....... they search to find ways to waste it......so aggravating... :hug:

10. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

This is Ginger the goat's idea of free-choice hay and her ideal hay feeder. She figures she can go through all this in a week, mostly wasted on the ground of course!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :ROFL: Thats funny Beelady!

I have cattle panels cut to fit between the 2x's on the wall of the shed and I placed old oven racks inside them on the bottom to keep my horned goaties from getting their heads stuck in them, the oven racks are spaced just enough for the goats to get their noses in for a bite...my minis are too short to stand up and reach into them and pull it out. As far as waste, thats a given with goats but this minimizes it somewhat. That and the fact that they get a set amount daily, when I see them wasting it, I cut back on what I give them.

* Oven racks work best because of the spacing, refridgerator racks are way too narrow and they can't "eat" through them.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL....that's free choice alright........ :ROFL:

13. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    This is what I made because I was tired of the waste and all of our goats have horns. It's not big enough for them to get their whole head into so they can't pull a whole bunch out at one time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    That is soooo clever! I love it! I'm guessing it's just a big plastic tub you've mounted. Good for you! Thanks for sending the pictures!

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    bheila That is great. I love it. I would just have to put something on top because mine sure enough would jump in in. That is great. I wonder if I did something like that and put legs on it because it would break of wit the goat on it all the time. I bet GoodWill and places like that would have the tubs. :leap:

16. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm also looking for that waste free feeder... you all realize that if someone comes up with one that actually really works - they'd be a kazillionaire! :ROFL:

I have heard that one possible serious drawback of keyhole feeders is that a goat cannot see if a herd-mate is going to ram them and they can end up with neck injuries because they can't get their head out in time to get away. Just a thought....

17. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I was thinking the same thing, but also wondered if I could just hang it higher so they can reach the holes, but not either jump in or pull the hay out of the top. Love this idea!

18. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I put mine high enough so my goats can't jump in. They also can't stick their heads in all the way so it's not like a keyhole feeder. I worried about them beating each other up if it was like a keyhole feeder so I only made the holes big enough for them to get their snouts in(I used a small paint can as a template, maybe 6"). I got the container from my husbands work. He's a Grain Inspector and the containers are made to hold 300lbs of grain. They're made out of pretty thick plastic but I don't see why you couldn't use another similar container. I do have one doe who can reach over the top and pull the hay out but I can't help that I have to keep the feeder at a certain level for my 14" wether :)

19. Shantarskiye

Shantarskiye Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Indiana
    We had the same problem! But now, there is NO waste! We built a box type rack that sits in the middle of the pen. It is solid on the bottom and on the sides is like a fence. They can stick their heads in and eat and waste nothing! I will post a picture for you today if I get the chance. It is a lifesaver!! Or should I say, it is a hay-saver! :)

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I can not have one that a goat can get a horn in because as Cinder said, I would have dead goats because they would get their horn stuck and then they would be beat up.

bheila do you just have it sitting on a shelf? I could not put it high enough to keep my goats from jumping on it and still have it usable to eat out of.. They love to jump on things.