Watching for heat cycles

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Honeytoto, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Honeytoto

Honeytoto New Member

May 8, 2010
    Hello,
    I am looking for some help with heat cycles. Could you please let me know what are the things to look for? If they are identified then we can plan for the next heat cycle being in how many days?

TIA,
    Moira

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depends on the breed of goat as far as when breeding season begins....most standard dairy goats will only breed from September to late January while mini breeds, Boers and some Nubians will breed year round. They all have common signs of heat though...Tail flagging, swollen genitalia, some have discharge, being very vocal. Average heat cycle is every 18-23 days, some will go every 25-27 days...standing heat, the time when the doe will allow the bucks attention lasts just 1-2 days.

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am new to goats, but I remember a boer/nubian doe I sold a little over a month or so ago was wagging her tail a lot, and rubbing her butt up against the barn, and our young buck was trying to breed her. I almost forgot about that one!
    Our goats run together right now, as we've had no problem with our bucks harrassing the girls.
    A month or so ago I saw one of my does with a white discharge - the buck was following her around so I had a feeling she was coming in heat. He did breed her.
    Then a few days later she was rubbing all over him, and being all lovey, and he bred her a few more times.
    The other doe I think came in heat before then, and she was wagging her tail like a dog, and got the bucks attention, she also had a little white discharge.

So far thats the only experiences I've had.

4. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Ditto for the above mentioned signs. You should watch for them and mark the goats' name on your calendar, then you'll know when to begin watching for her next heat.
    Keeping your buck/s with your girls is going to give you lots of surprise babies. NOT my cup of tea for sure. I like to know as exactly as possible when my babies are due and exactly who has been bred and who hasn't.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Tail wagging-often
    mounting other goats
    swollen vulva
    sometimes a little discharge
    tongue flapping around other goats
    staying near buck pen (if the bucks are near)

Those are some signs, but there can also be silent heat where you may not even notice the doe is in heat or you can barely tell. And some does just don't get that many heat signs. I have around 55 does and probably 45 of them show all the above signs.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with all the signs... mentioned above..... :thumb: :greengrin:

7. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I have one doe that for the life of me can't figure out when she is in heat. It is so frustrating!!! Not sure how to set up breeding her!

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'd be lost on what to do too. So I wonder if with a doe like this, you can just keep them with the buck until they are bred? Surely the buck would know when she comes into heat.
    I didn't know our newest doe was in heat, but the buck did...LOL Our goats all run together.

9. OurJourneysEnd

OurJourneysEnd New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Caro, MI
    This will be my first time breeding and having been wondering too when the 'right' time will be. The owner of the buck I will be hopefully using told me to make up a buck rag (taking an old rag and rubbing it all over the buck and getting it good & smelly and then putting it in a jar, sealed up) and start showing my girl the rag. If she's not in heat, she won't care. If she is in heat, she'll really, REALLY like the buck rag. Since I haven't done it before, I can't say with authority...but should be able to let you know better next month.

10. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I think it is definitely easier to tell heats if the buck pasture is near the girls that you want to breed. The does will walk up to the fence and drive the buck crazy if they're in heat... and flag like mad. And the buck will go crazy blabbering all over himself. (Note -- this is not a good idea if you're milking your does. Only my dry does are housed next to the bucks.)

Also, if the does are humping each other, it could be either the doe doing the humping or the doe being humped who is in heat. (Some of my does hump the other does like crazy when they're in heat... others are on the receiving end of the entire doe herd, if you know what I mean!)

Most of my girls are on 21 day heat cycles.

11. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Two of my does are so quiet when in heat the only way I can tell is if the other girls curl their lips at her when she pees OR if my two wethers get lovey on them.

Other than those two the rest show various signs of heat as the others have mentioned.