Water bucket ideas

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CCCSAW, Jun 26, 2020.

1. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Ok so I have these colored buckets right now 17.5 gallons
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-capacity-plastic-bucket-175-gal?cm_vc=-10005
    They work pretty well for right now, except I'm going to need something shorter or a secondary solution for baby goats. A 3m old boer kid can usually get water when it's full but I'm not sure about when they are littler, so I'm looking into that.

I am debating buying autofills for them but will need to level the buckets better first. We are currently filling all buckets morning and afternoon to keep them full and cool.

Ok so the horse has 2 buckets in the winter he doesn't go through more then 1/2 of 1 but in the summer he is drinking more then 1 full bucket a day (which is why he has 2). But I have a 1 month old bottle steer calf that will be going out in the horse field once he is weaned and I'll likely need either another bucket or auto fillers to keep enough water for both.

The goats have 1 bucket right now, they don't drink more then about a 1/4 in the winter but over 1/2 in the summer. The issue I'm having here is my 5m doe can't get to the water if it's more then about a 1/4 down. I can put a block so she can reach better. But I'm thinking I need at a second bucket for them as well at least for summer. There are 6 does total including the doeling.

The calf, and the wether are sharing 1 bucket in the small pan until the wether goes to butcher and the calf goes to the field. I'm not having any issues with their water right now but I'm sure the cow will start drinking a lot more soon.

I don't have an issue filling waters twice a day, but the biggest issue is if it gets forgotten I have very low or empty buckets in the afternoon. Like today I was over thinking this morning and didn't fill anything. The 5 month old doe is ok but started drinking water as soon as it was full enough to reach, and the horse had an empty bucket, but the second was nearly full.

So I need a solution (besides auto fillers and adding blocks) more buckets? Bigger buckets? Shorter buckets? Is there something you have that works well for you? Also please keep in mind i live in a high fire area and am at risk for pg&e power shutoffs and on a well. So if power goes out, my well is out too until I can afford a larger generator. So I need to be able to keep enough water in the field if I can't fill buckets. I can fill buckets from the above ground pool if we need too, but that is a last resort.

I'm in northern California and it's 111° today, so I have to make sure there is water.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    We cut blue food grade 55 gallon drums into two water tubs and I really like using them. They were too tall with the barrel just cut in half, so we did waste the middle of the barrel making them shorter for kids to reach.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    The would be something to look into. Where do you get them? We deal with a lot of algae too, so if it where cheap enough I would be able to change them out a repurposed then rather then trying to clean them all the time

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    More buckets. As you said when it’s super hot and you loose power that is a nightmare waiting to happen and blocks and floats are not going to help you there. I feed protein tubs and so use those for most of my troughs. I’m the same as you and I don’t want to go out at all hours, especially the peak of the heat to fill water so I have way more then any normal person would need. But I make sure everything is as full as I can get them all the time because that one time they are not that’s when the well will quit or the power goes out. Been there, done that MANY times and don’t much like pumping water out of our pond a hour away to haul home.
    But try a ISO ad for those protein tubs. They can add up very fast. I have probably 100 of them around here, but I am also creative and use them for many things but the smaller ones are perfect for all kids to reach out of. I would not spend a whole lot of money on them though, I probably get a good solid year and a half out of them but the sun does take a toll on them and make them brittle. I would go and pay the stupid price for a good water trough before I invested a lot in those tubs. I have a plastic water trough from 11 years ago and that sucker is still going strong. Also look and see if you can find some kiddie pools on clearance. Those are shallow and actually hold a pretty good amount of water.

5. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    I think I'm going to make hubby go with me to the store tomorrow... I figure if we get 2 auto fillers (one for the horse and 1 for the goats) and either bigger troughs or more buckets I'll be covered on both ends. I can look for something for the goats that shorter too. Then at least if the power is on I know both have at least 1 full bucket at all times and if the power is out I know there is extra to hold them over a little longer

6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I saw on pinterest a neat idea. They took a kiddie pool. A large blue plastic barrel. Fill the barrel with water standing in the pool. Fills to the hole in the bottom of the barrell. So water stays at a certain level for a long time. At least.you might have to refill once a week or so.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Whatever you use, make sure it's easy to dump if they poop in it. Mine do it when I'm in a hurry. (Really!). And all the buckets are up high enough that they should not be able to do that! I fill about and refill and more refill 22 buckets at my place (5 gal.) and 9 at the other farm where a lot of yearlings are. Auto fillers would be so nice...

8. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I use the big blue bucket like you do but put a shorter 6qt bucket on the ground for the kids. We also have a piece of wood that the goats can step on to help reach the water. Be careful as newborn kids can drown really easily.

9. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    We ave a short water trough. It is like a third of the size of a reg cow trough. I have seen people put it right outside a 4x4 fence. The goats put their nog through and no berries in it. Ours is inside the fence and we really do not have a problem with berries.... it is turkey poop. Those turds will sit on the edge. My nigis can drink from it easily. We have the thick rubber horse tubs and hanging buckets as well.

10. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Oh if I put it outside I would have deer, wild big, wild turkeys and my own chickens in it. Regardless of size.

I do have a larger trough that we use for a dog pool. I'm not sure the gallons but it's about the size of 2 of the buckets side by side. I would guess possibly 40-50 gallons. I might see if we can get 2 of those for the animals and use the smaller ones for extras. Is hard to dump but it has a drain plug so that would be helpful.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I use the blue food grade 55 gallon drums as well.

Moers kiko boars, Ashlynn and CCCSAW like this.
  12. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We use the Rubbermaid 30 g short troughs. They are durable and our little short goats can easily reach. Also don’t have to worry about a goat kid drowning in there. They’re not super cheap but they last. You could do a couple of them with having a horse and calf in there.

13. jmsdvm

jmsdvm New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Be very careful with tubs and buckets that a kid can get into and not get out. I've had a kid drown. Put a cinder block in a deep tub that they can stand on till you rescue them.

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I Agree:up: When my does are in their Birth Barn and new kidds are walking around. I use auto dog waterers. Its just a 2 gallon bottle on a 2 in bowl. But no babies drown. And their is always fresh water.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California