The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new here and new to goats too. My goal was to have a couple of dairy goats for milk and cheese.
Foolishly (trusting) I bought two baby goats and two lambs from an unknown source, the female kid had a lump just behind her wattle, but I was told it was just a little cyst and no big issue. The vet came out and drained the clear liquid, but it came back with three weeks had grown enormous, I called the vet again, they came out and it had burst just minutes before they arrived.
She was in the pen with the other babies, and he told me to separate them until he got the lab results of the sample he took.
I'm not a good farmer, because I know in my heart, I cannot and will not put her down.
So I am praying this is a wattle cyst abscess and not the dreaded CL. I'm doing research, and asking anyone with experience, what their opinion is. It's going to be a long five days!!
Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looks like a wattle cyst to me. I wouldn't have had the vet fool with it.

I used to have a buck with 2 huge ones. Looked like golf balls under there. I was really upset when I got him out of the crate and he had them. I was even more upset when a few of his first daughters had them, although more marble sized.

However that buck never threw any more wattle cysts, his daughters never had any daughters with them. He lived till ten and appraised 90.

I don't have any anymore but if I did I'd just let them be they are innocuous and not that heritable apparently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts