Wattles or no????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

76.2%
  3. Depends

23.8%
  1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Curious to see how many people like wattles and how many don't.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    My opinion is ,,yes they are unique and are part of the breed character ,,,,, even though I have fullblood boers as they do not have any...................... :thumbup:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I guess it really doesn't matter with me....though I do like the character they give, I prefer a "matched set", and up til now I haven't had a mini with them.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    If I had my "druthers", I'd druther not have them. Don't have any on my NDG's, do have them on about half my Cashmeres. I don't hate them or anything, I'd just rather not have them on my milk goats. :wink:

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Its probably been asked a million times, but do they have any function other than just "decorations"?

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't believe they do have any purpose, nancy d.

Yeah, I don't really like them for some reason. I have proably 7 with wattles, I don't mind them, but I rather just not have them.

7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I think wattles are cute, even though none of my goats have they. One of the 4-hers I show with has a Boer mix doe with one wattle on her neck and another one on her ear. Its like she has an earring, so I call her the pirate goat!

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I voted for depends. I like wattles on some breeds....I have a doe with them, she is a kiko cross. They dont bother me at all and the are cute little decorations....I wouldnt care to see them on my show goats but as pet goats I dont mind.

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Not me. I dunno what it is about em, but I don't favor them. :shrug:

I think I would tolerate them on an adult goat, but on a newborn I would see about removing them.

10. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i LOVE them
    they are sooooo totally cute
    i had one doeling born with them this year but i sold her
    my pack wether has them and i want to buy little hair clips and hang beads from them
    my kids love them too

i think someone told me once (or i read on some forum) that the wattles, once upon a time during evolution, were like fish gills or residual lungs or some such thing
    now a days they are just durn cute

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I voted depends. I just love wattles, they are too cute (when in the right "spot" - although the "pirate" goat sounds cute!) One of our pygmies has wattles and that's all. She has very cute wattles though, it adds to her cute face. :) Anyways, I've heard it's difficult to trim around them for showing - I would love to get an ND w/ wattles, but there are none in our area that we can find.

12. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    epona
    cute dragon
    i joined
    but when i try to create an incubator it tells me

Not Found
    The requested URL /incubator was not found on this server. Check the URL to make sure you didn't make a typo.
    You may want to contact the owner of the site you came from and inform them of this error.

do you know what i'm doing wrong or who to contact?

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thanks. :)

I don't use the incubators personally, but you could try posting on the dragon cave forum, someone there could help probably. :?

:hug:

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I dont mind them but i prefere not to have them, having dairy goats and being one who shows, i favor the without them look. They make the neck look less clean aout the throats area. I have a few animals who have them. I didnt have any until last year. I bred one of my does to a buck who had them, both the kids came out with them. Sera's are really nice short fuzzy ones. Rube has them as did her dam. And both of rubys does have them. Sizzles are three different colors, they are whit at the top with a black band and a tan spot on the bottem of them. Scarlett has one on her neck and one up by her ear.
    And yes they do have a purpose, at least when they are kids. Sera and Gibson (her brother) would suck on eachothers. They are pacifiers!
    beth

15. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I like them as long as they are on the neck and are at an even length. Although the neck looks much cleaner without them. And it is easier to trim the neck without having to deal with wattles.

16. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    My ND doe has wattles... they are cute! Black with white on the tips... goat jewelry!

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I love wattles, I think they are so cute!! Never had a wattled goat though :sigh:

18. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I voted yes. I will say my personal experience is very limited. One of my two ND's has them and they are absolutely adorable on her! They are a matched pair of wattles, maybe it wouldn't be so cute if they were lopsided. But, man is she cute!!

19. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I had a half reg boer doeling born with them- like dried wattles-they fell off in about a week?!?! that freaked me out- Her dam is half dairy goat. I personally don't like them.

20. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    So, I'm rubbing Uno's neck and notice something...

Teeny little wattles on each side of his neck! :ROFL:

That's what I get I guess. :roll: