Ways to check for pregancy?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by gotgoats, Nov 14, 2007.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I was wanting to know from others experience, are there ways that you can check to see if your does are bred. I had difficulty telling when our does were in heat. I would put the does with the buck when I suspected they were in heat. At this time, they don't appear to have much interest in him, and the last few times I tried putting a doe with him, the doe wouldn't go and would run from him. I would hate to find out they were not bred when spring came. The does have never been bred before, they are 18 months old, and are fainters. Are there ways for me to check, if not, what tests can a vet do to check, and do you know how much the tests run?

I have a 2nd question...we have another doe about a year old, she hacks/coughs very hard when stands up. The occurrence seems to happen every time right before I feed my goats. They are usually lying down, and when she gets up she hacks like there is something in her throat. After she gets going, I never hear it. None of the other goats have it, and she has had this for awhile. Any idea what this might be? She eats and acts well.

This is my first time posting. I appreciate your help! If I haven't posted right, sorry.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a kinder that coughs the same exact way. Once in a great while, I will hear her when I am in the house, but it seems to be when she is excited.

My vet checked her and her lungs were clear. About 2 weeks later it still was there, so she said to do a round of Pen inj. That did not work. She has said not to worry about it unless she starts running a temp or not acting normal. We wonder if she has a collapsed trechea.

Who knows!

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    http://www.biotracking.com BioPYRN, they have blood pregnancy checking that can be done as early as 26 days pregnant and is 95% accurate and very affordable.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Bascially I have heard of the pooch test- which has to to with the changes in the vulva that occures after breeding, and ultrasound where the vet checks for the fetus, lack of interest in the buck- I have heard of listening for heart beats of babies but that is later on.

5. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I am not so sure that I am comfortable about drawing blood from my goat on my own to send to biopryn. The price for checking is definitely cheap. I looked at the pictures they provide. Does anyone have experience with this? Can the vet do a blood test...what's the cost? What about ultrasound?

I have seen people posting pics for the "pooch test." How far a long do they have to be, and what are you looking for?

Thanks for the info!

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It is actually alot easier then you think. You follow the back part of the jaw bone down, and then you push in right above the sternum. You will see it pulsing. I tought someone to do it on my farm, and she got it the very first time and I let her draw on 8 of my goats and got it first try every time.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    gotgoats, my mentor/friend said that they myotonics that are highly myotonic will cough when they get stiff...my buck did it for the longest time and he just stopped. He may have allergies.

8. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I am concerned about hitting an artery or causing bleeding. Should I be? What size/gauge needle do you use to draw blood?
    About the cough, I kind of think it is allergies myself, and she gets stiff very readily. I never see a runny or stuffy nose with her. I'll just to continue to watch her. It just sounds so bad when she hacks.
    I appreciate the info.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I used a 20g only cause I am used to drawing on a cat and dog! There veins are alot smaller.

I used a 3 cc syringes. Just follow the trechea down to where it feels like a "v" and no trechea left. Put light pressure there.

Then go to the left or right - your preference (I tend to go to the goats left side) follow the back of the lower jaw bone, where the jaw conects to the skull, down with your pointer and middle finger slightly rubbing left to right. you will feel it rolling under your fingers. Then draw!

As long as you don't put it through the tracea and leave it there, you will be fine :0) If you are still nervous, call a local vet and see if you can bring a goat by so that they can teach you how to do a jugular stick!

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ