Ways to lift up a down goat

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MadHouse, Jan 25, 2021.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

First off, I don’t have an emergency, but I am doing the what-if...
    I had a doe with bloat recently and realized that it is very hard to move a 100 pound animal that doesn’t want to move. In our case she could still get up, but what if she couldn’t?
    We have been talking and reading, thinking about slings and pulleys, to find out, pulley systems are complicated and the goat might be down nowhere near the emergency setup.
    Who has had the situation of a goat down, maybe even in a tight corner and managed to get her up, and how exactly did you do it?
    We do have a sliding transfer sheet for moving people, we thought that would be helpful.
    Thanks

2. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Calf slings work well. Get it under the goat then a person per side.

They also can be used to hold the goat up by suspending from a beam.

3. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I know what you mean! And it is VERY hard to move a downed goat that doesn’t want to or can’t get up. Years ago I had a buck go down, I put him in the back of my little trailer that I pull behind my quad to move him and even that almost killed me. I learned something pretty handy with him though with this sling https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/large-weigh-sling?criteria=Sling
    It was IMPOSSIBLE to lift him up using those top rings since I was trying to lift all of 300 pounds all at once without a tractor or hoist. But those lower rings I could lift the front half and then the back half and back and forth until I got him up. I needed 2 things to tie it off to for the front and the back and it was a pain but I eventually got him up and on his feet. And I really like that sling because it has the strap in the front and back to keep the animal from sliding out of the sling while I was doing that.
    But to actually move the animal or to sling it where it’s at, I have a idea. I’m sorry if I confuse you, my husband gets annoyed when I try to explain my “inventions”, I don’t explain things well. I got the idea after having a downed cow this summer and no tractor to lift her and I used this thing my dad brought home to get her up every day. I’ll show this picture first so you might understand what I’m saying better but this was a super super sick cow! She was NOT in this condition before she got sick

IMG_1611637204.873165.jpg
    But I want to make basically a wooden frame with wheels on the corners. On the top have a boards (since I can’t weld) going across. That way I can use the same idea as I explained with the buck and get them up on their feet and tied off to the boards. The wheels that way I can roll it over to the goat and if need be push it and the goat to shelter. Hopefully you get what I’m saying lol

4. MadHouse

Thanks so much for the detailed answer @AndersonRanch ! This helps a lot!
    I can see what you are talking about.

5. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I’ve used ratcheting straps slung over a beam before. I just padded them with rolled towels. It worked but I don’t think I’d use it daily without a sling in the middle to support the midsection better.

I’ve also used a come-along with a sling over the top of a swing set years ago for a sick colt.

6. MadHouse

Thanks ladies!
    I will look at it with my partner in crime tonight (the builder/inventer/safety officer), so we can make a plan. Out of all your suggestions I am sure we can rig something up. She is planning on practicing with us being the goats (as the goats wouldn’t let us).

7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Oh that's going to be a hoot. :haha: Good luck channeling your inner goat. (thumbup)

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
  9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I want to see the pic of the halter on..and being hoisted. Lol lol be sure and bleet! :funnytech:

10. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    The cow breeders here use a sling a 2x4 to lift and weigh calves. I’ve helped the neighbor weigh 130+ pound calves but I don’t think I could’ve done it on my own.

Put a hook in the long 2x4 and attack the sling. Wedge one end of the board in the ground then lift the other end until the calf/goat is up/off the ground.

Here is an awesome illustration for clarification and your amusement at my artistic ability

[​IMG]

What I do like about this is that you usually have all the needed equipment laying around. Even if you use a folded blanket for a sling.

11. MadHouse

Thank you! Very good drawing and description! I lkie it!

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    To move a down goat from one place to another..make a sling from a large towel by sliding under the goat and stretch it wide on the belly...lift all four corners at once...a helper makes this easier for large goats. Close the 4 corners over the goats back to help with balance.

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    :up:

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  14. MadHouse