We all survived!

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by snyder1973, Mar 2, 2011.

1. snyder1973

snyder1973 Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Lorimor, Ia
    What a way to break in a newbie! Wasn't expecting to have my buckling get stuck in the birth canal with a foot and head out and couldn't find the other foot to hook it out! After we were sure he was dead and that nanny girl was going to die me and my 72 yr old mother in law drove 2 miles to a country vets house and he came a calling with all kinds of equipment and come to find out he is a horse vet and she got the buckling out and I looked stupid. In the end he helped her get the doeling out and I am in love with my two new kids.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What an ordeal....I commend you... for your bravery...and taking the Doe to the vet....you didn't look stupid at all...so don't think that way... :hug: ....we all learn from watching and that was a good lesson.... :wink:

Congrats... on the new kiddo's.... :hi5:

3. snyder1973

snyder1973 Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Lorimor, Ia
    Yes I will know more the next time around, I have one due in a few weeks. Today was just the worst possible day to have babies as she started right after I got home with my son who had surgery. The buckling didn't want to walk at all for the first 1 1/2 hours but now he is, maybe he was in the canal too long? What do I watch for now?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hope your son is OK... :pray:

At birth...When babies don't get up(weak) or have crooked legs ...a shot of Bo-Se( purchased from vet) helps.... it is usually from lack of selenium.... nutradrench helps also...to get them going...

Not sure of the question... is it on kidding or the baby ?

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good golly what an ordeal! But you did good you TRIED!!! Sometimes they can be gotten out with one foot folded back but it sounds like he was fairly large.
    Glad to hear everyones no worse for the wear, & yes a shot of BoSe would help him although he'll most likely find his legs in a couple days regardless...so long as he's nursing. :thumb:

6. snyder1973

snyder1973 Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Lorimor, Ia
    Well I have another doe due soon so I will go get some BoSe but what I did was made up a solution of karo, molasses, and vegetable oil. I read somewhere to do that and I gave momma some and the little buckling. They are doing wonderful this morning and nursing and my little boy is walking :)
    They are sooooooo loud!