The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

so we found a got wandering the neighborhood last week. No one has claimed him/her...so looks like he/she (I've been calling it Gumpy) may be ours.

We have just over 1000sm block so I think it has plenty of room. So far its still settling in. We got goat feed and hay and everything but I don't think my bf understands that Gumpy may eat its way through everything haha.

First of all, fencing how high should it be? right now its in the chook pen (don't worry its a huge area) but I doubt that will hold Gumpy in for long (chicken wire and shade cloth) our other fences are colourbond and quite high except for the back which is still pretty high-I can only just peak over it. (back fence in pic)

Also what type of Goat is gumpy? How do we tell the sex? I think if we keep him/her we should get another goat as I think it would be cruel to keep it by itself...

Thanks for all your help!

·
I'm watching you
22,151 Posts
A girl looks like this, with an anus and a vulva under the tail. If it squats to pee, it is a girl. If it just drizzles from under it's tummy, it is a boy. The second picture is a full buck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I bet someone is looking for that goat. It looks in to good a condition to not be cared by someone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tag on its ear faintly says 1xm in faded marker-I've googled and can't find anything about it. Know what it means?

I've posted on a number of sites and places but no response yet. We are wondering if it fell off the back of a truck or something??

Its a lemon tree on the ground :)

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
What a pretty goat!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I don't have anything helpful to say, but that is one nice looking goat!

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
I agree, someone is probably looking for Gumpy. If you do keep it, a buddy is definitely a good idea.

Fencing: 5-6 feet is best

How big is he/she? Would you guess a standard size or a mini? If full size, I'd say Gumpy is an Alpine/Nubian or Alpine/Boer cross.

If you post a pic of the teeth, someone on here should be able to tell you its age. Hopefully he/she isn't too skittish. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys...thanks for all your advice so far :)

So far no one has answered any of my ads. Put an ad on gumtree, and multiple different fb pages, even joined a few livestock ones. Also put flyers in all the local shops but nothing so far! :help: It makes no sense to me either as she looks well looked after and is at least used to people. She won't let us pat her but will go close to us and eat near us-But she could just be settling in. She's started bleating every so often but its very quiet. (Hope that lasts :S)

We had to reinforce the fence today as she's only in a chook coop and shes now comfortable enough to try and get out..ggrr lol. Our youngest dog loves trying to round her up which Gumpy seems to love as she will go to this particular spot in the fence and tease her-so thats all been reinforced. Other than that neither she or the dogs seem bothered by each other. She loves the chooks and they love her!

If no one claims her within a few weeks then we will build her a proper paddock at the end of our property and look into getting a miniature goat to keep her company.

I think shes a normal sized goat? I'm 155cms (shorty I know) and she comes up to my hip

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I haven't put any pics up, they have to describe or produce a photo to claim.

Shes super cute. If we keep her I want to get a mini to keep her company.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Guys we are in WA Australia.

I just caught the dogs trying to round her up and barking at her through the fence. :( they are both sheep dogs so its only natural but if she stays we will have to teach them not to, not fair on her at all poor thing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update

little over a week and still haven't found her owners.

She got out once and became best friends with our Kelpie boy-even tried to follow him through the doggy door. :) But she hasn't got out of the coop since. If we do keep her, we will build a proper paddock for her-but we will wait a few more weeks first and try find her owners.

She's getting used to us now, and will run up to us and say hi and let us pat her which is awesome :)

Loves carrots and Apples!

best friends

1 - 20 of 36 Posts