We have 3 new additions-horrible delivery!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by heathersboers, Sep 28, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Hi all- I just wanted to tell you about this horrible delivery that happened today. My in-laws have registered boers also and one of their does was in labor this morning about 10- I went on to work, and got off of work at 5 and she still had NO babies!! So I go in the pen and she is pushing and all you see is a small piece of the sac-So I go in- The kid was upside down and backwards and stuck- so I pulled it out- a girl-10 lbs and healthy! then mama started pushing again-there was no baby in the birth canal at all- so I went in again-up to my elbow!! There were 2 kids tangled up with each other -both upside down and sideways :hair: I go to grab for legs and one of them BITES ME!! :ROFL: I come out with a front leg and a back leg, so I stuff one of them back in and fish around for another- I finally pull no. 2 out-a 8 lb. black headed buck-he comes out with a blue tongue, but quickly sucks in some air. Then I go in again, and there is another one-he was also backwards and upside down- What gets me is that they were stuck in there and tangled up like that- Has anyone had anything similar happen?? also they all have folded ears lengthwise with the tips folded up- Can this be from the position they were in or is it hereditary? This doe had 6 kids last time, but they were smaller-I can tell she is not a happy camper!.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh poor girl!!! Thank goodness you were there to help her!

I haven't had the delivery problem, but I have had some weird ears at birth, but they usually did what they were going to do with in a couple weeks.

Would love to see picks of the big babies!!!

3. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Usually weird ears are from how the kids were positioned in the womb. If its just the tip folded you can pop it down soon after birth. If its folded lengthwise you can straighten it out by 'splinting' it with cardboard and duct tape.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Glad you kept your cool and got them all out ok. :thumb:

I had that issue when Dawn had her Quints. The first one was upside down and backwards. He was doa. The rest were all tangled and I had to sort them out.

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    that is the first time I have had to go in to deliver- It just surprised me that all 3 are alive!!! The 2 that were stuck inside had no sac on them and they sisn't suffocate- I will try to get some pics tomorrow. How long are does usually in labor?

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    What a miracle!!!!!! I am glad you got them out ok and they are all doing well. I would splint the ears as already suggested.

7. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Their ears were fine today- we didn't even have to splint them!!! I didn't get any pics- I had to work 14 hours today-sorry!!

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    good job heather! and congrats on the kids!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is terrific ,,you did a great job................ :greengrin: :thumbup: :hi5:

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Wow! You did a wonderful job getting those babies out!! That was your first time??? See, why can't I do that??!! I just freak out and want to give up right away. . . .

Anyways, you did an awesome job and so did momma goat, what a day for her, the poor girl!

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Well- Im just glad that she is OK- i was about to freak cuz I couldn't get them untangled inside of her-it took about 2 hours to get them all out-does anyone know how long a doe should push before you intervene???

12. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, fiascofarm website says "the doe should kid within an hour of her first serious push".

I have seen many videos of goat births, and I see some let the doe deliver without ANY help from all the humans standing around making alot of noise. I prefer the way fiasco handles their kiddings. I see her "assist" by gentle tugging on the feet as they appear to straighten out the legs to prevent the "elbows" from getting hung-up on the does pelvis.

I hope, however, that I don't have to deliver kids like you did! :shocked: Sounds like you were in that doe up to your elbows! Good for you! I'm sure that doe knows you saved her life, not to mention the kids! :clap: Poor girl!

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW your first time ever going in and you had that to do? That is amazing. :thumbup: Great job.
    Congratulations. :stars:

14. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Re: We have 3 new additions-horrible delivery!! Pics added!!

OK here is a pic-i finally got a night off!!!!
    [​IMG]

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Heather so glad you were able to get them out! I skipped over to post about the ears...yes it can be hereditary but Ive also heard its from being all squished in there, at least for the flipped up ears.
    The lenthwise fold...splint them anyway...they may look ok right now but may have a tendency to return. Get into the upper cartlidge and try to pop it out and splint.
    I had one last year like that it wasnt severly folded like her dams is, which the breeder tried to fix but that ear had a mind of its own.
    The sooner you can splint them the better! After a couple of weeks the cardboard and tape will just fall off and you might have to do it again.
    I have a couple that were flipped up, didnt know that you could just yank them open while still wet with birthing fluid.

16. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    they all straightened out except for the doeling-she is the nursing one in the photo- It looks like a crinkled paper towel roll that got squeezed. I told my father-in-law that it needed to be done- but the only way it will get done is if I do it- Ive been working so much and haven't had time.

17. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    No no no those are not newboerns he hehehe what cute lil monsters and great job getting them out! You are one brave woman!

The longest Ive had a doe in hard labor was about 10 minutes before presenting a head only. I mean she was screaming her head off all that time and she's ususally fairly quiet during labor.
    His tongue was hanaging out so I didnt think I should push him back in but if anybody knows better please educate me!
    Anyway I had to reach in and pull the legs around & out...the rest came fine.
    The longest labor was almost an hour on another experienced doe...she was pretty casual about it..taking her sweet time cleaning up & talking to #1 before #2 arrived...same thing...I was starting to worry cause I knew there was a #3 but Mystify knew what she was doing. All normal presentations.

Does anybody have any idea what causes tangled up babies?

18. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    They are all just beautiful! Congratulations!! :thumb: What an amazing story!!! I'm sure that doe appreciates your help. Something I am sure you'll remember for a long time, too!! I've had funny ears before, and they straightened up on their own - I've never heard of it coming back later, but maybe that's in long-eared breeds. I understood it was from the way they are scrunched up in the womb... :shrug:

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Adorable babies....but my goodness, their poor mommy! They are HUGE for being just 3 days old! Really glad that you knew when to help.