We have Coccidiosis, need help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CodyAcres, Mar 10, 2009.

1. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Our newest addition, Mossberg, the 2.5 wk old Nubian has a bit of diarhhea this morning. The people we got him from had one with Coccidiosis and said they'd been having more of it this year so to watch for it. Anyway, I've got some Di-Methox 12.5% that will be arriving via UPS today. Will that work? Or is that just a preventative?

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    It will work. I would mix fresh everyday if possible it does it lose strength after a few days when you mix it all up. Shelly

This is form Hoegger goat supply.
    Five days of oral dosing with a mixture of 1-1/2 Tbs. of Di-Methox and 1-1/2 Tbs. of water is generally suggested.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    1cc per 5lbs x 5 days. Give pro-bios for 4 days after the treatment is done since Di-Methox kills off the good bacteria also.
    Preventive is 1cc per 10lbs and is given every 20 days till about 8 months.
    The Di-Methox should be given straight from the bottle and not mixed in the water.
    If you got the powder, mix the package with 3 cups of water and drench as above.

4. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

When we'ce used Di-Methox we give 5ccs for 5 days straight- and probios daily.
    Should cure it- go a few days longer if you think it hasnt cleared up totally.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I personally don't use....Di-Methox.....glad that others have... and gave you the know how's...... :wink: :greengrin:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Does anyone ever add a natural sweetener, like Stevia to the Di-Methoxx? I've been wanting to try it but don't have any right now. That stuff is absolutely disgusting! (Don't ask me how I know. :roll: )

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I tried Stivia....my goats gagged and I still had to fight them to get it into them. :greengrin:

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'll take a little bit of Karo syrup, or snow cone syrup and draw up in the syringe with it, helps it not taste so bad.

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I use Sulmet instead of The Di-Methox but I just put in in the milk bottles and they just sucked it down :greengrin: . I don't think they ever tasted it :? If your babies are bottle babies just put it in the bottle. If not I guess ya just gotta drench the nasty stuff. Cherry snow cone syrup does mask the taste.

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :ROFL: Try Safeguard. :sick:

But I usually use Albon or Sulmet on my kids.

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well at least ya don't have worms :greengrin: :greengrin:

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL:

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    True, but I really wasn't happy with the goats for sharing with me.

They have also shared plenty of other things with me including, nutridrench, and calcium drench(NASTY).

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    They just want you to know how much of a torture it when you drench them. I have always wondered how people handle it when they are allergic to something they are giving their goats. For instance I am allergic to Sulfa and Penicillin, I try to be real careful when giving these meds. So far I have not had to give penicillin but I do give the sulfa for cocci prevention.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can use straight up LA 200 for the ones you may have trouble with crocee

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Thanks Stacey. Will oxytet(LA200) work for cocci or is sulfa the only thing? other than CoRid(won't use that because of all teh side effects).

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I like Corid - dont know of any side effects? all cocci meds work in the same way. They depleat the body's thiamine which cocci feed off of. Since they have nothing to eat they die. My vet suggests corid or albon for treating cocci

18. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The thiamine problem was the one I was refering to. The sulmet doesn't seem to do that, or at least I haven't had to give Fortified B Complex after the sulmet course.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    because people dont realize it does the same thing :wink:

I asked my vet about corid causing polio and he looked at me funny. So I explained what I had heard here on forums and he said "never heard of that, if used properly corid is very effective and doesnt cause problems. I guess if over used it could cause some sort of issue"

I think that people were not reading the lable correctly or had something else going wrong started a rumor and it has lived on. I have yet to hear of an active case of Polio that was started because of corid. Nor have I experienced it myself and I have used corid.