The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got dairy goats.. both males and they are adorable! Feeding them whole milk with some water and some replacement milk all mixed up. I herd that just replacement milk made kids sick... but this seems to be working because I'm on day three of feeding and they seem to be doing great! 5 days old tomorrow. What is the best feed to get them when I start taking them off the bottle?

Attachments

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
first congrats : ) they are sweet little nubian boys!!!

next : whole cow milk alone is fine for dairy kids...no need to add replacer at all..As for feed...pellet feed is best but they wont eat any of that for several weeks..milk is their whole food source right now...
here is a very good article on bottle feeding to help yo be sure you are on the right track...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/overfeedingnewbo.html

being sure they get what they need but not too much they get sick : )
grab some C D Antitoxin in case their tummies get ill...keep it on hand...
and most important..enjoy them...they will quickly grab your heart if they havent already...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Adorable! I am a new goat owner myself and am bottle feeding the babes currently. I am feeding them a 5:1 mix (roughly) of whole milk and half and half, respectively. They are thriving and growing (so fast!) on this! I second Cathy's advice, enjoy them! Feeding time is my favorite time of the day because I have a legitimate excuse to spend time with the babes. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welp one has diarrhea now :/ trying some baking soda and some electrolite stuff.. anything else I can do at home for him?

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
whena bottle baby has the runs...they are not digesting...if the poop is like pudding or worse..stop all milk..give electros only 12-24 hours..let the tummy rest..give C D Antitoxin to help kill toxins biulding in the gut and pepto (3cc) to help dry the bum and sooth the tummy..once poop has gone back to normal..begin milk again..slowly..make sure to weigh baby to be sure you are not over feeding them..see the article I posted above...
I would not weeb before 3 months..you can go longer of course..and some ween st 2 1/2 months..but no sooner is recommended..best wishes

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
notice happy bleats said cd antitoxin not toxoid which is the vaccine. you could try 2 cc of pepto mixed with 1/2 cup of warm pedialyte. and drench with it. i got that from onion creek ranch which is the link alreday mentioned (they have an excellent website for all things goat)

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
notice happy bleats said cd antitoxin not toxoid which is the vaccine
yes..many times you go to buy the antitoxin and they try to sell you the toxoid...anti-toxin is for emergency use, to rid the body of toxins..toxoid is a preventive vaccine..when a goats tummy is off for any reason we need the antitoxin..:D

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
hows the poop today?

·
558 Posts
Some people wean at 8 weeks, alot go longer. I just weaned my bottle babies and they are 14 and 16 weeks. It seemed to me a good average was 12 weeks.

I just fed my babies whole cows milk, no replacement. From all the reading I did, it seems that it is easy to get the mix wrong and cause digestive problems. I am a better safe than sorry person so I stuck with cows milk.

Happybleats is a great person for advice. She has helped me many times!!
I agree with her to order some CD ANTI-toxin now. I didn't at first and assumed I would be able to find it around town if I needed it and I was WAY wrong. Noone here even knew what I was talking about and kept telling me to use the toxoid which is not the same. Even the vets in the area that supposidly knew goats. I ended up having to order it. Luckily my babies were ok, but I was kicking myself for not having it on hand.

How are your babies doing today?
I just loved bottle raising my babies. They are so sweet and cuddly!!!

·
558 Posts
Oh and I also meant to ask how much and how often you are feeding them?
Sometimes if you feed too much at one feeding, that can be bad!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts