The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He died today. The other two are still acting fine. I bought probiotics but it was too late. I am pretty upset. I am a farm girl, I have grown up caring for animals. These are my first goats and I am beginning to wonder if I should have gotten them. Maybe I am over my head, if I can't even keep them alive. I feel responsible even though I was doing everything I should have been.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm sorry you lost Creampuff.
Don't be too hard on yourself. If you're a farm girl you know that sometimes you do everything right and the animal still dies. Its never easy and it always makes us question ourselves but sometimes an animal was not meant to live. Sometimes no matter how much we do for them, they pass anyway.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm really so sorry for your loss. :hug:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been there with you. sometimes it feels like nothing you do is enough, but hang in there. you tried your best, and your baby knew that. take solace in the fact that CreamPuff died as your beloved goat, and that is more than what many other goats can say about that.

·
Super Moderator
58,871 Posts
I'm so sorry. It is hard to lose them. But you just have to remember that things do happen and sometimes no matter how much you do, you still lose them. :hug:

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
These things happen. Goats can have the BEST owners EVER and still die. Other goats can be abused, neglected, starved, and they somehow survive. Your goats are loved, and you care for them the best that you can. That's the most anyone can do. :) :hug:

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just hope the other two make it, I am questioning everything now. I know y'all are probably right though. I have wormed them, made sure they have free choice minerals, and even top dressed minerals, I gave them the exact dosage for sulmet for the five days. I gave them electrolyte in the form of lemon lime powerade. I gave them pepto in the beginning. I pulled their grain in the beginning. I don't know. Creampuff got sick last, but when it hit him, it seemed to hit him the hardest. I just don't know why he was the biggest healthiest looking one. Daffodil looks so fragile yet she fights so hard.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
even those of us that have had goats for years loose the battle some times...Goats are complicated but wonderful animals...with each loss there is learning, It hurts so much when we loose the fight, and we spend a fair amount of time going over the what if's; should haves; and could haves;...even when we do everything right, everything can go wrong...then you witness your first birth, babies first suckle...Mom snuggling her kid..the affection and devotion these animals give without a second guess on our capabiltiy or knowledge ..they just "feel" our love for them...and when you need them...you can walk among them and they know..they feel your saddness and they comfort you...dont let this sad moment feed the desire to give up. The remaining Goats need you...and sounds like to me...you need them...many blessings..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
He died today. The other two are still acting fine. I bought probiotics but it was too late. I am pretty upset. I am a farm girl, I have grown up caring for animals. These are my first goats and I am beginning to wonder if I should have gotten them. Maybe I am over my head, if I can't even keep them alive. I feel responsible even though I was doing everything I should have been.
Don't do that to yourself. We've all been there and it sucks, but I'm sure you did the best you could. I, too, grew up on a farm/ranch, but I would hate to tell you how many bottle babies I killed until I finally figured out I couldn't feed them like I did my bottle calves. Every species is different, they have their own little quirks, and it takes time to figure it out. Cut yourself some slack and take this as a learning experience. The one absolute truth about animals is that if you have them you're going to lose them. The fact that you are upset about losing CreamPuff tells me that you are trying, and want to learn. I seriously doubt that you are in over your head, but you have to give yourself some room for the learning curve. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Take a deep breath, keep your chin up, honestly evaluate the situation so you don't make the same mistake again, and keep taking care of your goats. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm so very sorry you lost him

1 - 12 of 12 Posts