The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im so heart broken...Found Gemma thrashing in her shelter this morning...I have my grand baby this week end and so was late to go out to check on everyone. I always go out after the kids do morning chores to be sure everyone got what they needed...When I found Gemma she was already down..couldnt hold her head up...I got her up but she could not stand,,,,Carried her out of the shed and went to work on her..I thought I might have got her through the worse, her tummy began to have sound and movement, her crying stopped, she was relaxed, but breathing hard...she just gave up...I held her until she took her last breath....

Attachments

·
merryoaks
4,249 Posts
So sorry Cathy, I was just remembering the advice you gave me for my own goats. I wish she would have made it.:hug::tears:

·
558 Posts
I am so sorry Cathy. How sad.
She was a beautiful girl.
Love and prayers sent your way.
(((Hugs)))

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So sorry. What happened with her?
Im pretty sure enteriotoxemia....We put the kids in a pen at night so we can feed dinner and breakfast without them having to fight the big girls..Gemma was always a piggie...and my 10 year old let all but 3 of the kids out of the pen this morning for some reason..leaving Gemma and 2 others to eat the whole lot to themselves..(my 10 year old is special needs)., Theother two are just fine, thank God! I just know if I went out in time I would have found her and maybe been able to save her...but by the time I got out there she was too far gone...I gave her all I had..but it was too late..Im glad I found her so she didnt have to die alone...and the Banamine I gave helped ease her suffering...

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for your support and kind words... this is the part of goat keeping that never gets easy. I bottle raised Gemma and her sister Jewels from a few days old..Gemma was my secret favorite..I would never let the others know that lol..but she just had that "something" about her..I miss her already.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Oh Cathy, I'm so sorry!! :( I totally missed this thread-I feel bad for not catching it sooner! That's so sad; I worry about something like that happening here... I usually go out and check to make sure everything's done right, but I can't every time- just have to pray they'll be okay. :pray: So sorry again. :hug:

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No we cant always be there, we do the best we can...:confused:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts