The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He died yesterday. I was on here some yesterday but didn't feel like talking about it, I still really don't. He didn't really have a name til after his brother Cream Puff died, then we started calling him Leroy Brown. As in "Bad, bad, Leroy Brown, baddest man in the whole dang town, badder than a old King Kong meaner than a junkyard dog" I buried him right next to his brother. It was stupid Coccidia. I took Daffodil to the vet today. I am not happy with that vet. (not my regular vet he was out and his assistant vet won't see livestock) This was a vet that was recommended to me as a goat lover and good goat vet. I couldn't tell. They left her in her carrier all day til it was filled with poo and pee. I called to check on her at 1 pm and I could hear her bawling in the background. So I just headed over there and sat til they had to see her. Even after me waiting around the vet didn't even talk to me, had the secretary talk to me. Needless to say I won't be using that vet again. The only good thing that came out of the visit was some peace of mind that I was right and was treating them for the right thing. They did a fecal and she still had coccidia, they gave me medicine to give her and it is the generic form of Alban. I had given them Sulmet recently to treat them for coccidia. I did everything right and they still died. So she has to undergo five more days of coccidia treatment. They claimed she looked good and strong. You should see this poor frail baby. She only weighed 14.8 pounds. She is a fighter that is true, but I don't think she looks good or is strong. The two bucklings looked much stronger and healthier and they both died. I really hope this vet knows what he is doing. I really don't want to lose Daffodil too. And I know my daughter doesn't, was hard enough on her losing her boys.

RIP Leroy Brown:angelgoat:

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Im so sorry you lost Leroy Brown.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully the Albon will take care of the coccidia. It can be a bugger and affect them hard and fast.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Oh no! At this point, I would double-treat her: Treat chemically and herbally. That way if the coccidia is growing resistant or abundant, coccidia-fighting herbs can help in the battle. Apple Cider Vinegar and cayenne pepper (medicinal grade) fight coccidia. Molly's #1 dewormer also fights it, as does Fir Meadow's GI soother. In fact, Fir Meadow is cram packed with some pretty epic stuff, I'm a big fan.

I'm so saddened to hear about your babies ... you were doing everything right. It's been a horribly hard year for many breeders, including myself, due to the harsh weather.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not a breeder, just a first time goat owner and dinker. It makes it really hard not to blame myself because I feel like if I had been more experienced maybe these babies wouldn't have died. I know it might not have been any different no matter who had them. I know I was doing all I knew to do. But it is still hard not to second guess myself. At least hearing the fecal confirm coccidia and the vet confirm it makes me feel a little better.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
No, don't second-guess yourself! We do the best we can with the knowledge we have. I lost a kid this year too, not to coccidia, but still. It was SO hard, so very hard. And I wanted to blame myself, but I did the best I could. That's all we can do.

Forgot to add, the Apple Cider Vinegar should be raw, unpasteurized with the "mother". :)

·
Pixie13
207 Posts
So sorry to hear you lost your boys!!! Sometimes it feels like when it rains it pours. Hope your little girl pulls through for you:)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I am not a breeder, just a first time goat owner and dinker. It makes it really hard not to blame myself because I feel like if I had been more experienced maybe these babies wouldn't have died. I know it might not have been any different no matter who had them. I know I was doing all I knew to do. But it is still hard not to second guess myself. At least hearing the fecal confirm coccidia and the vet confirm it makes me feel a little better.
Try not to blame yourself or second guess, coccidia is a difficult illness to deal with. You can do everything right, and still lose the kids. Even the most experienced lose kids because of it, so I doubt your experience level played a part. I am so sorry he didn't make it. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts