We made Cheese!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Squidgette, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Squidgette

Squidgette New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    We made Chevre for the first time, and it turned out great! :wahoo: :wahoo:
    My ultra-picky-princess friend was over and she thought we had splurged on some high-end cheese for her. She was completely floored when I confessed that it was from our goat, Taffy.

We have only been milking Taffy for 2 weeks and she has been a real trooper. We bought her because she was half Boer and we thought she would compliment our meat herd (of 2 other goats)...now we are looking at her as half Nubian and thinking of buying another milk goat! LOL!

Starting to finally figure out what I want to do with my goats--and it tastes like cheese!

2. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Congratulations! Isn't it fun?! Good job!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. GingersMaMa

GingersMaMa New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    SW Missouri
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :leap: :leap: :leap: :leap: :cool: :cool: :cool: :laugh:

5. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Cool :thumb: Is cheese difficult to make?

6. Squidgette

Squidgette New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    goatiegurl*Oh,

Cheese is soooo easy to make, I don't know why more people don't do it!

It is kinda like making a pot of tea... You heat the milk, pour in the enzymes, and let it sit! After 12 hours you have curds and whey. Put them in a cheese cloth, hang the bundle up, let the whey drain out, season and wrap up your new delicious cheese. We made Pesto chevre the other night! Cheddar coming soon...

7. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    this is how I make my cheese...

I get a small container of cultured buttermilk at the grocery store. I put a gallon or so of goat milk in a stainless, glass, enameled or plastic pot (no aluminum or iron) with a half cup or so of the buttermilk and stick it in the oven with the light on to keep it warm but not too warm. I let it sit over night until it smells nice and cheesy and is about as thick as yogurt or sour cream. then I take a piece of cloth and line a bowl with it, pour the stuff in to the cloth, tie it closed and hang it for a day with the bowl under it to catch the whey. (The cloth I used is a pillow case cut open and bleached.)

Then I dump it out of the cloth in to a clean bowl, mix in the herbs I like, and devour it. It's like a soft cream cheese, I eat it on toast, potatoes, chips, crackers...

It's harder to explain how I do it than to actually do it. lol. The number one reason why I love my goats: more cheese than I can eat. <3

8. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

Good for you! I have tried three times and have thrown it away each time. I bought kits and followed the directions. I have a goat friend that makes it so I think I am going to see if I can go hang out with her while she makes it to see what I am doing wrong.