We may get to breed my two new girls soon!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Lawanda, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am sooo excited.

I talked with a girl from church earlier today about some mums she is selling, and I happened to remember that her in laws have a dairy farm and that they have goats!

I have been pondering on how to get my two new girls bred, because I frankly do not know much about them, their health, if they have any problems that might be transmitted through breeding, etc...

So I have been looking to buy a buck and breed them, but the problem is I have no where to keep a buck, really. That and also every buck I see for sale is a Boer, and I have nothing against Boers, I love them, and am expectin two (hopefully! haha) babies in January who could be registered if I so wished, but I don't wish it, but ANYHOW... I just would much prefer to breed these two girls to another milking breed, since I believe them to be Alpine. Does that even make sense to anyone else???

But anyhow, I do not really want to keep a buck here, because we'd have no place for him... But I have been looking anyway, because it is important to me to breed these girls, because of who gave them to us, a very dear friend. (Does THAT make sense to anyone??? LOL)

SO I was talking to this girl and I asked her what she thought about it, and she said that they might perhaps let me breed them with one of their grade bucks!!!

I am so excited. I kept wanting to call her back and see if she talked to them yet! LOL Very impatient! And excited!! I hope they let us, and do not charge an arm and a leg for it!

If you have read all this, thank you for listening to my blabbering!!! :greengrin: :thumb:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The prospect of kids is exciting.....especially when it means those kids are coming from "special" goats.....and yes, I understand the want to keep the kids dairy too....your girls do look Alpine to me.

3. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    WHEW! Thank you for posting, because you have just made me feel tons better. And justified even! haha

I was wondering, ARE there any diseases/problems goats can pass on to other goats by breeding? My girls look and seem real healthy except for poor Belle's bum leg, although it doesn't seem to bother her too much except she just limps a bit...

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    cae is passed goat from goat, but no proof that it transmits by breeding. might want to get them tested so you know where your herds status is at. :thumb:

good luck!!

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    What is cae? How does it affect them, I mean, like what are the symptoms? I have heard about it, actually what I heard was it was like AIDS or something?? I wasn't sure if it was transmitted like AIDS, though... Belle has never been bred, she is 5 years old. Her mom, Patches, has been bred multiple times and is 12.

How do I test them for it?

And thanks! :)

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
  7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no CAE is not transmitted through breeding -- it isnt like AIDS.

CAE 's only proven way to be transmitted is through the milk from mom to kids and from open sore to open sore contact

Biotracking is good if you can get the blood drawn on the goat.

I would wait for the response by the friends and see what they require for breeding to their buck. Each breeder has different requirements.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey..... :wink: :greengrin: