We need a companion for our male pygmy - MI

Discussion in 'Goats For Sale' started by JenAndNick, Dec 29, 2010.

1. JenAndNick

JenAndNick New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Hi Everyone, this is my first post! :)

Last April we got our first 2 goats! A black and white pygmy and a tan, black and white La Mancha. Just last week our La Mancha, JoJo had to be put down because he had kidney failure. He was only 10 months old, so it was a huge surprise. Now, our pygmy, Peetrie is super sad without his brother. We are looking to find a male, horned goat friend for Peetrie and us. He will need to be friendly because we like to play with and hang out with our goats everyday. :) They are our babies. :) If anyone can help, that would be so wonderful!

Thanks!!
    :lovey:

2. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    check on Craigslist and also on Kijiji... they are both good resources ! (I got both my does on Craigslist)

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

WELCOME!!!

Wish you were closer...But I agree, craigslist is the BEST!

4. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Just be sure to ask if they are CL and CAE (disease) free, I'd ask about worming, vaccinations, feed, hoof care, lice or mites, if they've ever been sick or not, registered/not registered, knowledge of the farm the are from, etc, etc... Just any and all information you can get would be the best to making sure you get the animal you want in your home/herd. That way there's not as many surprises/issues when you get him home. :thumb:

Good luck on your search! It's SO NICE to hear of people giving good pet homes to goaties! Makes me so happy! :clap:

5. JenAndNick

JenAndNick New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Thank you so much! I have been on Craislist and a bunch of other free ad sites, just seems like there hasn't been anything still available/close enough that matches what we need for Peetrie. I haven't heard of the Kijijiji, but we just heard back from an old friend of my DH that is just a 10 miles or so away that will give us her fainter as long as we let her use him to breed in the fall. He is less than a year and horned. We are going to meet him in the morning. FINGERS CROSSED that he is a good match! She breeds faiting and mini silky goats and lots of other creatures. Her website is www.chippewaacres.zoomshare.com. The one we are going to meet tomorrow is Riddick. He is in the "our goat herd" tab if you want to see him. :)

I'm so happy to be a member on here. I love to learn more about goatsies and share stories! Thanks for having me! :lovey:

6. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Always happy to have more goatie friends here! Always! :stars:

7. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

You can NEVER have too many goatie friends :)

Hope he works out!

8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm sorry you lost your boy. It sounds like you have pet wethers, ignore this is I'm wrong. A buck will smell, and will act much differently than a wether. You probably won't want to be hugging him, at least part of the year. And he will bug the pygmy, and it could be dangerous if he gets a lot bigger than the pygmy. they look pretty small in the pictures. Fainting goats can have a wide range of size. I don't think a buck is a very good idea for a pet. This is a good article to read about bucks: http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/getting-your-goat.htm

Good luck with your goat hunt, regardless.

Jan

9. JenAndNick

JenAndNick New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    St. Johns, Michigan
    We brought Riddick home that day and for the first couple Of days Peetrie bullied him and he "fainted" a lot. They are much better now, not anything like JoJo and Peetrie were, but Keno (we renamed him) follows Peetrie around and they cuddle in their house together at night. :). Keno is super sweet and we love him so much already! We are looking for one more, so please let me know if you know of any in our area. Thanks so much!