We visited "sealawyer" and got our does ultrasounded!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    We had a great day today! We loaded up the five bred Nigerian does in my (brother's) Jeep and drove about an hour to see Fred aka sealawyer and his lovely wife Gwen.

WOW his place his beautiful! Wonderful pastures and a beautiful home and tons of great looking Boers running around everywhere!

They didn't hesitate and put us right to work! Hubby and I helped sort Boer does, herd them, put them through the pens, and Gwen and I ultrasounded them, checking for pregnancy.

It was a ton of fun, even in this hot weather. We had a great time chatting (mostly about goats of course) and laughing.

At the very end, we took a look at my does. It came out just about how I expected!

Hope - bred!
    Indy - bred!
    Pepper - bred!

Hallie, as you all might remember, was the rescue doe that was part of a huge mess. She is thought to be sterile. The abusive owner CLAIMS she kidded but I've had my doubts. Now, Hallie actually allowed herself to be bred, twice, which is apparently something she's never done before.

Sadly, she wasn't quite far enough to tell, so we'll wait and see. If I get a chance, I will pull blood and send it in next month. However, I made a commitment to her and she stays, regardless.

Rudy on the other hand, has been with a buck twice (this is her third time) and has yet to settle. She came to use as a pregnant yearling and had a difficult delivery. I worry this caused damage we cannot see. She was hand bred, twice this time around. But isn't bred as far as we can tell. She gets until I am 100% sure she isn't bred, and then she has to move to a new home.

On the whole, it was a GREAT time and we loved it! We can't thank Fred and Gwen enough. Even hubby really liked then, and he's as anti-social as I am, maybe even more. :greengrin:

Pictures! Not very good ones, and I meant to get video, but I forgot. However, you can...sorta...see the black blobs that mean kids!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How neat ......glad you where able to spend a wonderful day with them.....sounded fun.....congrats on the pregnancies.....that is wonderful news....cool ultra sound...pics... :thumb: :greengrin: :hi5:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Very cool Kristina :) its always fun to meet up with other goat breeders and form a common bond. :)

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh we just had a blast. I tell you, after herding those Boer does around, my goats looked absolutely TINY!!

Also:

Looking at Hallie and Rudy's due dates, they are both due between 4-5 days AFTER the rest of the herd, and I'm fairly certain both of them had five day heats and were bred again. So they MAY still be pregnant, and we were just unable to see due to it being too early. I will draw blood on them both later this month and find out for sure. Who knows, we might just have five does kidding after all.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Sounds like you had a great time!

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Very awesome! Sounds like such a great time! How far along are your does that are pregnant?

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That is so neat! Sounds like a fun time!

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Everyone, with the exception of Rudy and Hallie, should be between 30 and 45 days pregnant. I can't remember exact dates on each, but they all have a ticker on the website.

9. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    That is so neat! i cant wait till mine are pregnant!

10. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Kristina, sounds like you had a blast and made some new friends. I will keep my fingers crossed that Hallie and Rudy are actually bred and they were just not far enough along to register on the ultrasound. If Hallie is steril, we can discuss what you want to do with her if you decide that you do not want to keep her anymore.

But I am keeping fingers and toes crossed that she is in early stages, she will have some gorgeous kids.

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I am still hoping too, Misty.

I made a commitment to Hallie when I went to go get her, so I can't just toss her away when she doesn't breed. I brought her home KNOWING she was possibly sterile. So as long as her health is good and her coughing/allergies does not worsen, she will stay. We've started on the big pasture, so soon, it won't really be any extra expense to keep her anyways, except maybe the little hay she'd eat in winter.

Unless you want her of course? You'd be the only other home I'd let her go to. She is not suitable to be a pet, and never will be. Even now, after all the time, it takes food and some sneaky moves to get my hands on her. I gave up trying to "tame" her and have let her live her life unmolested; I figured she deserved it after what she'd been through.

12. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Till we get the new doe pen built, I would not have the room for her right now (but would make room if needed). But my thinking was the same as yours, I will take her if you do not want her as she will never make a pet. Besides she has bounced around so much that she deserves a lasting home.

You have put so much work into her, I am sorry that she never tamed down for you. Unfortunatly when she was here we had to resort to roping her to catch her for wormings and feet trimmings. Always made me feel bad. :(

The offer is always open that if you ever decide that she is to much work or you are just tired of her, she comes here.

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Unless something drastic happens, she will be fine here, especially after we finish the pasture. In the event I HAVE to move goats out (goodness ever forbid) then I will bring her to you, and no one else.

Frankly, with her health issues, I'd rather see her put down than be bounced around again. She just deserves so much better.

Luckily I don't have to rope her...just be very sneaky when she's got her head in the food buckets! She's such a pretty doe...maybe the blood test at the end of the month will bring us good news?