The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...I know there are several llama owners here and hope to learn a bit more about llamas. Our Nieghbor needed to find a new home for his young llama. He didnt say how old he was but he was still running with mom...Raymond is solid black, about 5'3"-5'5" tall ...my husband just brought him home last night..it was dark so we didnt try too much with him..only gave hay and water a tad bit of grain..this after noon we are doing fence visiting..he is used to coming in for feed, but not handled much...so we are going slow..letting him smell us, he likes to get right up to our face and smell lol..we are allowing time for him to get used to the sounds and dogs and such...and letting the dogs get used to him as well, pretty much how we did our donkeys, he is in a very safe pen..with a hut. Ok..my question...should he be fed grain? I find conflicking info..he is not under weight..he looks great...his fiber is beautiful...eyes bright, nails not too long...we will have him cut, which is my next question, whats a good age? we will be reading alot about llamas to provide good home...but would love any tips you might have in his care...Ill post a picture of Raymond later..thanks

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Karen...: ) Good to know about copper...with him being young, I guess alittle grain wouldnt hurt while he is growing... Also, I will talk with our nieghbor to see if he knows how old he is..
Here is a pic of Raymond....

Attachments

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Attachments

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hubby says just something else to feed lol..better be sure he earns his keep lol

· Super Moderator
16,629 Posts
The only thing I can tell you is they kick lol.....I have 2 alpacas and totally didn't expect them to kick lol. Congrats on your guy if llamas are like alpacas they are really funny to watch and listen to their noises.

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh Ive been kicked my our young donkey, got me on just above the knee...left a good size bruise and him on time out!! lol...

· Super Moderator
64,522 Posts
Llamas tend to be calmer than alpacas. But they don't kick unless they feel threatened. He certainly could potentially be a guard llama. Time will tell on that one.

Alpacas are much more kicky if they can't see. Huge huge huge pet peeve of mine is an alpaca whose topknot covers their eyes. How would you feel if you could only see straight ahead out of a small area and you are prey. Trim their topknot until you can see their eyes from all sides. My birthing customers knew I would trim their alpacas topknots. I think some of them purposely brought them over with overgrown topknots so I would trim them. I trimmed so many that I got very good at making them show worthy trims.

· Super Moderator
16,629 Posts
I think my girl is just mean. I spent a half hour with old fashion hand shears and got all that off. But they I still like both they do nothing wrong and I threaten my goats all the time that I'm gonna trade them all in for alpacas.
Carmen how long did it take for your horses to except the llamas??? Lol we have 12 horses and my filly is the only one who doesn't see them and freak. I even penned them side by side and my made jumped the fence and wouldn't come back lol.

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My donkeys are freaked out by him...they have to walk past his pen to go to pasture...they all stayed in thier pen today, refused to go past..I finally Got Thelma and Rosalee to walk past, but the others said NO WAY lol..I went in and got Raymonds smell all over me then went back in with the donkeys...they were sniffing me like a dog lol..poor girls..I hope to get them to go to pasture tomorrow..lol..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.