WeaK 6 month old buck [Update]

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nubiansrus, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Try to make this as short as I can. I went out of town and hubby was in charge of taking care of the animals... I came home to find he hadnt bothered to fill up the waters on my goats... I came home at 5:30 pm. He was out there at 12:00 noon and checked on everyone he said but didnt have time to water. He saw my 6 month old La boer on the ground but figure him just resting he said. I get home at 5:30 and my buck is flat on the ground very close to death... our temps are 105+ most days. I hurried him in side and gave him some karo syrup and some pedialite and some water, have been giving him water for days... hes in my house now. The first day he started to recover pretty quickly. He was eating and drinking well. I thought he was gonna be fine. Hes walking around just fine. But he cant get up on his front legs by himself very easily. He almost acts like hes in pain. Its been four days since this happened, hes walking around trying to bumb his head against you for attention, but he still cant get up on his front legs. Any suggestions? He was improving but shouldnt he be improving faster? I love this little buck for both what he is, and hes sooooo sweet.

***Update***

Rocky is standing fully upright on all fours today, and even making noise. He hasnt made any noise since hes been sick. Hes defin. headed another step toward recovery. :)

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: WeaK 6 month old buck

Is his temp bac to normal now. When animals (along with humans) temps get to extreme high temps, it actually starts killing brain cells. he might have some brain damage. I would take him to a vet, have them take a look at him and they could tell you if he has some neurological damage. :hug:

3. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

Yes temp is normal

If it was neurological damage would he still be able to walk? He walks around just fine. Thats what I dont get. I sure hope that isnt what it is. I had so many plans for him... grrrr. :( Hes such a good boy and so strong willed.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Yes, it could be from neurolgical issues. Think of a stroke victim - which is what happens from the heat - their hand is still functional, but it is hard to move the arm - same concept.

I am not saying for sure this is what is going on - but it is a real possibility. I would have him checked just to be sure.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree.. that he should be taken to the vet............then you will know for sure... what may be going on with him....I am so sorry... he is down.......I will pray... that he gets better....... :pray: :hug: